Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Me too. But GA think otherwise. FIOS is all they want and prefer.

Apparently the GA didnt go much for both at least initially.  They stuck mostly to there target audience.  Now just hope that EoT can develop some legs relative to the other summer releases.

After next weekend Summer goes into darkness. Wake me up when Interstellar arrives.

I will wake you up in October to a creepy kid next to your bed.

Posted Image

Edited by a2k

Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD debuted in 3 territories (GER, AUS, SWZ) and scored $364k. US debuts July 11.— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) June 8, 2014<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Unfortunate placement of letters there.

I don't think anyone is making a comment about its profitability, just about the seeming inability to actually get non book readers and people outside the target audience to buy tickets. A 50%+ drop from Friday to Saturday is extremely steep for any movie.

The movie simultaneously shows us the advantage and major drawback of being a social media hit. 20M+ trailer views, very popular on social media and big in presales - all pointed toward it being frontloaded unless word of mouth took it beyond the target audience.

Where is the draw-back of grossing 48 million dollars opening weekend?  If it had grossed the more traditional 15 mill Friday, 18 mill Saturday and 14 mill Sunday, does that make it any better?

Posted Image

Yes baumer, yes it does.

A film that grosses 48m on its opening weekend, with over half of that on Friday, demonstrates two things compare to a film that makes the same weekend gross with less than a third of it from Friday:

1) Substantially more frontloading, which indicates a strong level of interest from a smaller pool of individuals, and significantly less interest up-front from pretty much everyone else

2) A lower max ceiling on gross because of the narrower demographic attraction and appeal.

99 times out of 100, the film with substantially less OW frontloading wins domestically.

• Like 7

"Faults" budget was like what 15 Million? It won already big time, frontloaded or not.  There was a time when Tom would slaughter anyone who opened alongside him.  I'm glad quailty wise the movie is getting some respect.  X-Men is falling fast but it's have a solid run overall. 

Posted Image

Yes baumer, yes it does.

A film that grosses 48m on its opening weekend, with over half of that on Friday, demonstrates two things compare to a film that makes the same weekend gross with less than a third of it from Friday:

1) Substantially more frontloading, which indicates a strong level of interest from a smaller pool of individuals, and significantly less interest up-front from pretty much everyone else

2) A lower max ceiling on gross because of the narrower demographic attraction and appeal.

99 times out of 100, the film with substantially less OW frontloading wins domestically.

Why do you like Stannis so much?

Second weekends

DOFP: $32.6M

Godzilla: $30.9M

TASM 2: $35.5M

Maleficent: $33.8M (very impressive since it opened more than $20M below all 3 of them)

The higher you open, the harder you fall.

I had a feeling that Maleficient would have a good 2nd weekend, regardless of critics/audience reviews.  I am of the belief that reviews from critics or audience word of mouth don't mean much for kiddie fare or animated movies - they are often just babysitting time-killers for families and kids.  I think Pixar movies would stil be huge hits if they had 60% ratings on RT instead of their typical 90%.  Mal should finish around 210 or 220 million domestic simply because only it and Dragon 2 are playing to the babysitting crowd over the next month.

• Like 1

A-Team, Star Trek, and Spider-Man all had sub-50% drops and were big productions like EOT and going after the same audience.  Some weren't even as good.  It can happen.

Star Trek was May 1st week and ASM opened on Tuesday. A-Team is a legit comparison though. Managed a multiplier of 3 after opening 25m odd in June.