CJohn

The Croods: A New Age | Nov 25, 2020 | RIP Cloris Leachman

Um...Fox is releasing the Avatar sequels too. So could these moves be interpreted as a sign that they're NOT opening an Avatar sequel that weekend? Unless they plan to release it the weekend before...

FOX released Avatar and Alvin 2 in back to back weekends and worked just fine. 

Yes, I just realized that and corrected my original post.I just mistakenly assumed those weekends would have been set aside for Avatar. But actually, I remembered that Fox staked those pre-Christmas slots for animated films a long time ago, way before the Croods 2/Puss 2 November announcements.

Edited by TServo2049

Fox has actually had a family release every Christmas, or just before Christmas, since Cheaper by the Dozen in 2003. The closest thing to an exception was Marley and Me in '08, and even that was PG.2003: Cheaper by the Dozen2004: Fat Albert2005: Cheaper by the Dozen 22006: Night at the Museum2007: Alvin 1 (one week earlier)2008: Marley and Me2009: Alvin 22010: Gulliver's Travels2011: Alvin 3 (one week earlier)2012: Parental Guidance2013: Walking with Dinosaurs (+ Walter Mitty on the 25th)2014: NATM32015: KFP32016: Alvin 42017: Croods 22018: Puss 2So Fox will have had something in or near the Christmas slot for 15 years straight.

Edited by TServo2049

FOX already had an untitled animated movie on the 20th.

Fox's system of reserving dates for animated features is weird. It's never been clear to me whether they'd actually have enough films to be able to fill all those dates. It almost feels like they reserved extra dates for contingency plans or something. (And a few films were slotted for dates Fox hadn't already taken - I feel like the scheduling of Captain Underpants and Larrikins in previously unreserved Jan/Feb slots was a reaction to how successful The Lego Movie was in February...) Edited by TServo2049

Fox's system of reserving dates for animated features is weird. It's never been clear to me whether they'd actually have enough films to be able to fill all those dates.

Nevermind, both are FOXes but one is FOX animation and the other is DW must have removed the FOX animation one.

Actually, the dates said "Fox/DWA/Blue Sky", almost as if Fox didn't actually know whose studio's film was going to go there, just that they wanted SOMETHING animated in those slots...

Point is it moved 2 days and has this been mentioned in an article of the move?

Fox's system of reserving dates for animated features is weird. It's never been clear to me whether they'd actually have enough films to be able to fill all those dates. It almost feels like they reserved extra dates for contingency plans or something. (And a few films were slotted for dates Fox hadn't already taken - I feel like the scheduling of Captain Underpants and Larrikins in previously unreserved Jan/Feb slots was a reaction to how successful The Lego Movie was in February...)

I imagine they'll be some more dates changes since DWA currently doesn't have a summer 2017 film which I suspect Dragon 3 will go and Captain Underpants and Trolls will move to November 2016 and June 2016. Larrikins I imagine will stay put since Anubis has March 2018

Loved the first one. Will definitely watch.

It was surprisingly decent.  It took a little for me to get acclimated, they still made the Dreamworks smirk...but it really was a decent flick.  I see why it performed better than other DW films.

I dunno on the sequel though.

It was decent, but not great.  It certainly didn't have the love of the first How To Train Your Dragon, and we saw how well that type of love did for that film.  Never mind HTTYD2 was an excellent film, better than Croods.  Doubt Croods 2 will be as good.

I'm having a hard time seeing this one growing much.

Edited by kowhite

It was surprisingly decent. It took a little for me to get acclimated, they still made the Dreamworks smirk...but it really was a decent flick. I see why it performed better than other DW films.I dunno on the sequel though.It was decent, but not great. It certainly didn't have the love of the first How To Train Your Dragon, and we saw how well that type of love did for that film. Never mind HTTYD2 was an excellent film, better than Croods. Doubt Croods 2 will be as good.I'm having a hard time seeing this one growing much.

Croods was big overseas, probably why they greenlit this. :)