pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comparing with AUJ and DOS numbers recorded in BOM (AUJ-DOS-BOFA)

Germany (17 - 19 - 19.5)

UK (18.8 - 15.2 - 15.15)

France (11.1 - 13.4 - 14.5)

Russia (17.9 - N/A - 13.4)

Brazil (4.2 - 4.9 - 6.9)

Mexico (5.1 - 6.0 - 6.4)

Conclusions:

- It improves in Eurozone in spite of exchange rate, so a quite higher number of admissions

- Horrible exchange rate in Russia

- Flat in UK

- Increase in Latin America, what I did not expect

Edit: The numbers from BOM I posted are about the total after opening, not just OW. I do not know if openings of each country for each movie are 3, 4 or 5-day openings.

Edit 2: If Eurozone is able to keep or even increase grosses relative to previous entries and there are some increases in Latin America to compensate Russia drop, IMHO, 750 is definitely possible thanks to probable huge increase in China.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 9

I like that Brazil increase. Other than that, it's pretty much on par with DOS. Let's not talk about Russia. :P

It was huge in Russia in RUB, unfortunately the exchange rate is terrible at the moment

Edited by eXtacy

Full Break Down from Deadline

http://deadline.com/2014/12/international-box-office-hobbit-battle-of-the-five-armies-debut-imax-record-exodus-results-1201324558/

"Numbers are rolling in on the international weekend with Peter Jackson’s final installment of the Hobbit franchise, The Battle Of The Five Armies, selling 14.57M tickets on more than 15,000 screens in 37 markets. The first weekend take was a big-footed $117.6M. IMAX plays were worth $6.4M on 160 screens. Those numbers bested the debut weekends of the previous two Hobbit movies, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (HUAJ) and The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (HDOS). The $6.4M start is an IMAX record for the best December opening, topping An Unexpected Journey‘s previous milestone of $5.03M.

"Although the Five Armies bow is lower on a dollar basis than HDOS‘ $135.4M start last year, there are a few key things to note. HDOS debuted in 49 markets and on 16,405 screens versus Five Armies‘ 37 markets and 15K screens. Importantly, currency fluctuations play a major role (especially where the euro and the ruble are concerned). Looking only at local currency and admissions tallies, Five Armies is up 16% on HUAJ and 10% on HDOS at the same point. Several of the overseas territories on Five Armies also outperformed HDOS at open this frame."

• Like 2

Comparing with AUJ and DOS numbers recorded in BOM (AUJ-DOS-BOFA)

Germany (17 - 19 - 19.5)

UK (18.8 - 15.2 - 15.15)

France (11.1 - 13.4 - 14.5)

Russia (17.9 - N/A - 13.4)

Brazil (4.2 - 4.9 - 6.9)

Mexico (5.1 - 6.0 - 6.4)

Conclusions:

- It improves in Eurozone in spite of exchange rate, so a quite higher number of admissions

- Horrible exchange rate in Russia

- Flat in UK

- Increase in Latin America, what I did not expect

Edit: The numbers from BOM I posted are about the total after opening, not just OW. I do not know if openings of each country for each movie are 3, 4 or 5-day openings.

Edit 2: If Eurozone is able to keep or even increase grosses relative to previous entries and there are some increases in Latin America to compensate Russia drop, IMHO, 750 is definitely possible thanks to probable huge increase in China.

Btw, the exchange rate in brasil is also shit incomparison with last year It droped from 0.49 AUJ to 0.43 DoS to 0.38 BotfA

Edited by pepsa

Btw, the exchange rate in brasil is also shit incomparison with last year It droped from 0.49 AUJ to 0.43 DoS to 0.38 BotfA

With those exchange rates we would have something like this in local currency: 

AUJ: 8.57 million opening

DOS: 11.4

BOFA: 18.16

Battle of the Five Armies would be in fact doubling gross relative to AUJ  :o What a pity...  :(

According to that deadline article...

In Russia, Five Armies gave Warner Bros its biggest opening ever with an estimated $13.4M off of 2.4M admissions on 2,385 screens. Nabbing 84% of the market, results are 30% better than HAUJ and 14% ahead of HDOS. Both of those films opened on a Wednesday, rather than a Thursday as was the case with Five Armies which gives the new film’s result impressive heft.

I don't understand. Are they referring to local currency?

Also...

In a big feat, Five Armies was No. 1 in Japan where there were three local openers. Bilbo and the gang earned an estimated $2.46M with 200K admissions from 644 screens. The results were 35% better than HAUJ and a staggering 95% higher than HDOS.

Something doesn't add up.

I'm giving this 275 DOM, maybe even a bit more. The point is Hobbit 3 has sold more tickets than H1 and H2 everywhere. This bodes well for a domestic increase. It'd have been nice an Australian release to have a better reference.

Imo, the OS range right know is 700-750. The middle would give it the billion WW. It will be close, but 1B looks more likely to me.

• Like 1

:worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy: really havent seen so many lines for any movie since Avatar

Ppl have taste! yay

i even dont care about exchange rates (tho it could have easily scored 50 mio with last year's)

Edited by Lady of Lorien

so what would have TF4 made with last years exchange rates???

Don't know, but bear in mind that the Euro has lost another 10+ cents since Transformer's run in Europe.

Dollar/Euro in December 2013 - ~1.37

Dollar/Euro in July 2014 - ~1.34

Dollar/Euro in December 2014 - ~1.24

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

so what would have TF4 made with last years exchange rates???

In fact, TF4 has had advantage since the dollar has become stronger in last 5 months. TF4 still had good exchange rates.

In July 2014:

Dollar/Euro: 1.35 (http://www.freecurrencyrates.com/exchange-rate-history/EUR-USD/2014)

AUD/$: 0.94 (http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/AUD-USD-exchange-rate-history.html)

GBP/$: 1.72 (http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-exchange-rate-history.html)

Today:

Dollar/Euro: 1.24 

AUD/$: 0.82 (http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/AUD-USD-exchange-rate-history.html)

GBP/$: 1.56 (http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-exchange-rate-history.html)

You can take the Germany and France examples. Between both BOFA can make about 130 million (maybe 85+45). With TF4 exchange rate, BOFA would be able to make in just those 2 territories 10-11 million more with TF4 exchanges.

• Like 1

France 5 days (admissions)

The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies : 1 553 657 (2nd biggest opening this year, behind a local comedy) 
The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug : 1 391 030
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey : 1 217 193

27.6% ahead of AUJ, 11.6% ahead of DOS

Edited by Lyanna
  • Like 10