pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

But even your edited version... this is a BO site... why wouldn't such things be discussed?

Because if we do that then we will have to do it with every movie for a better perspective. It would be great to discuss if we had the info on every movie but we don't so it's just seems a little bias. I'm sure there are loads of films out there that suffered from poor exchange rates.
  • Like 1

Because if we do that then we will have to do it with every movie for a better perspective. It would be great to discuss if we had the info on every movie but we don't so it's just seems a little bias. I'm sure there are loads of films out there that suffered from poor exchange rates.

I do not deny that. I am conscious it would be difficult to make a more fair list applying the current exchange rates to compare WW grosses. And to make a WW list, the dollar conversion is the easier and faster way. But it has risks like what we are seeing now. And for that reason I have always preferred to talk about local currencies or even admissions instead dollars to compare country by country. A debate like this should use to be more active because it implies unfair comparisons. I can give you a good example, very related with this thread's film:

FOTR sold more admissions than ROTK in many countries, but most people here thinks in other way because of the official WW list. Exchange rate change between 2001 and 2003 was even bigger than this year's. What is the general feeling? that ROTK got a final boost (FOTR-556; TTT-583; ROTK-742). But that is not true. Just applying today exchange rates (without inflations or 3D), FOTR OS number would be on par or even higher than ROTK's.

It is nearly impossible to make a good analysis taking into account this factor, but it must be considered to be more fair with some conclusions.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 6

I didn't like it, but I liked what it stood for. Michael Bay took every bit of nasty criticism he gets and amplified it and for that, I respected him.

"I always swore I would never kill humans but when I find who's responsible for this, they are going to die" lolololol

It didn't stand for shit. But ok.

Opening Weekends

Russia $13,596,168

Ukraine $1,027,955

Estonia $152,941

Latvia $116,992

Has box office been affected much in Ukraine since the violence started at the beginning of the year? How does the gross compare with DoS?

Edited by MonstersandRoy

Has box office been affected much in Ukraine since the violence started at the beginning of the year? How does the gross compare with DoS?

National currency dropped from 8 UAH per USD to 15.7 UAH per USD. Even more with current black market rates (19-20 UAH per USD). Also around 10-15% of box office is lost thanks to Crimea and Eastern regions. Hobbit 3 beat both part 1 and 2 in national currency and admissions but dropped hard in USD. 

• Like 1

Why desperate? The OS numbers are nothing to be desperate about.

But when you have such an extreme exchange rate change from one franchise's installment to the next, it is worth noting on a BO site, no? Especially now with the Ruble crashing completely.

imo somene kindly should do a separate BO  "what could have been" chart using admissions (& the #s in local currency) & exchange rates from the DOS times last year   :lol:

Edited by Lady of Lorien

But when there is such a huge and uncommon drop between two instalments of the same franchise, it is something that of course will be discussed. It was also discussed for MJ1. And surely for other movies before that.

But when there is such a huge and uncommon drop between two instalments of the same franchise, it is something that of course will be discussed. It was also discussed for MJ1. And surely for other movies before that.

Ive only ever heard of being discussed with this and to prove HP1 sold more tickets than ROTK lol, its always LOTR related lmao. If we are going to take exchange rates into consideration all the time, box office is going to get complicated, and we will have to give Interstellar its due for being the second biggest ticket seller of the year so far.

• Like 1

Ive only ever heard of being discussed with this and to prove HP1 sold more tickets than ROTK lol, its always LOTR related lmao. If we are going to take exchange rates into consideration all the time, box office is going to get complicated, and we will have to give Interstellar its due for being the second biggest ticket seller of the year so far.

You desperately want to create a fanboy-bias thing here.

It was simply an important information in this case because it showed that the admissions went up in most major markets, after many people fearing/predicting a drop. That was all it was.

Of course I give any other movie its due, too.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

I think you over-predict it, domestically.

Especially with the US reviews being so negative.

I know this movie is not depended on reviews... and I think it will be around DoS numbers DOM. But I don't see where the 290 should be coming from.

How about OS? Am i overpredicting it.

If im overpredicting the DOM, then whats yours?

OS could be right.

I'd say 250 DOM / 730-760 OS

The size of China's increase will determine whether it makes 1 billion or not, imho.

BOFA has a better China release date so it should increase 80-100%. I am estimating 140mln China.

DOS has an awful China release and still managed to break 75mln in China

• Like 1