pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

You desperately want to create a fanboy-bias thing here.

It was simply an important information in this case because it showed that the admissions went up in most major markets, after many people fearing/predicting a drop. That was all it was.

Of course I give any other movie its due, too.

Not at all, I can see exactly how this will play out. If the film fails to hit 1b which a lot of us have predicted and have taken shit for, everyone will start using the exchange rate to justify their over predictions. Its like people are already setting up their excuses lol 

"excuses" really???  :lol: like the movie increased (yes even if not in $) in every market needs it

I'll take into account the rates in any other case. 

Most people in this thread are quite realistic & no ones sugarcoating anything

Many say (rightly) that China will be the key & it will be

No one is expecting the next Avatar or something.  

We'll still see what's up with the legs but for now to disregard the influence of the rates on its $$$ gross would just be stupid

I.e. Like how can you not if the film had the 2nd best OW in history here & wayy behind in $ !

Edited by Lady of Lorien

this sounds great since I remember you saying the the first two Hobbits flopped there

I never said they flopped :lol: The first one sold 370000 tickets while the 2nd ended with 300000 tickets sold. Those are not bad numbers, even if they are not even comparable to what Lord of the Rings did (700000+ tickets sold for each movie...). I may have said they were disappointing numbers. Which they are. The first Hobbit was expected to sell 500000 tickets.

South Korea admissions

TH1 OD:159,130 Total:2,818,993

TH2 OD:140,399 Total:2,282,807

TH3 OD:189,271 $1.45m

Huge boost in admissions, shame about the currencies strength against the dollar.

EDIT: Oh wait those total's were it's total admissions not $ opening day gross :).

Edited by MonstersandRoy

It opened today over here. I just saw it in English with Spanish subtitles. I've never seen this theater so packed. It is being played on 3 screens out of 12 at this multiplex. This is going to be huge! !! ;)

I have checked the biggest theater in Spain (in fact, they presume to be the biggest theater in the world, which is Kinepolis, in Madrid). Presales are a bit behind 10,000 right now. I will check again on Friday for the weekend. Just for the record, MJ1, for example had sold 4,200 tickets in that theater just before the release (Friday morning). There are programmed 107 showtimes in the Wed-Sun period.

• Like 2

DOS: $23.6m ($7m OW), AUJ $30.1m ($7.9m OW)

I think it is necessary to give the Euro and admissions data to compare better, given the current problem with exchange rate:

AUJ: 2,995,348 admissions - 22,779,813 € (3 day OW: 789,000 admissions - 6 million €)

DOS: 2,482,670 admissions - 17,177,392 € (3 day OW: 712,000 admissions - 5.15 million €)

• Like 2

France 10-16 Dec (admissions)

The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies : 1 789 196 (Third 2014 opening, behind Supercondriaque and Lucy
The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug : 1 619 507
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey : 1 434 119

24.7% ahead of AUJ, 10.4% ahead of DOS

• Like 7

France 10-16 Dec (admissions)

The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies : 1 789 196 (Third 2014 opening, behind Supercondriaque and Lucy

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug : 1 619 507

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey : 1 434 119

24.7% ahead of AUJ, 10.4% ahead of DOS

With those numbers, 1.35 exchange rate in 2013 and 1.24 today, make that BOFA is a bit ahead in dollars (a mere 1.5%). Good

• Like 2

I never said they flopped :lol: The first one sold 370000 tickets while the 2nd ended with 300000 tickets sold. Those are not bad numbers, even if they are not even comparable to what Lord of the Rings did (700000+ tickets sold for each movie...). I may have said they were disappointing numbers. Which they are. The first Hobbit was expected to sell 500000 tickets.

Hobbit 1 - 410.000 tickets

Hobbit 2 - 390.000 tickets

Hobbit 3 - ?

I'm really curious how TH3 will do here compared to Portugal, especially since it already doubled the record number of showtimes ever received by a movie.

• Like 1