Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I'm going to be very interested in how those drops actually end up for Sunday. This is Spurs country here and we DIED around 6 today. I know it's just a territorial thing, but it was night and day difference between the matinee shows and evening shows.

BTW I just realized that if Transformers doesn't open to $100M, Mockingjay might very well be the only movie this year to do so. That would be...kind of nutty.

it would be literally locked to be the only 100m opener. not like "httyd will definitely open to 80m it's locked!!!" locked but actually physically mockinjay part 1 would be put in an empty room labeled "100m openers of 2014" and then the door would be locked

• Like 2

Excellent start for 22 Jump Street. An increase from the first one was always in the cards, but it's mightily impressive to see it nab one of the biggest opening weekends on record for an R-rated film. Sony did a great job of selling it as a bigger event than its predecessor, and the move to summer certainly paid off.

Disappointing opening for Dragon 2. There's already more than enough analysis on the film's performance elsewhere on the forum, so suffice it to say that the film could and should have gone higher, but it's not doing badly, either. With summer weekdays and limited direct competition up until the Planes sequel, it still has a shot at hitting $200 million.

Maleficent is still doing really well, even despite competition from Dragon this weekend. $220-225 million could be a reachable goal, and we finally have our first somewhat leggy film of the season.

Edge of Tomorrow held up decently. Hopefully it will continue to hold up well, although I don't think it's going to have the stamina to top $100 million.

The Fault in Our Stars took a big hit, but that was expected. We'll see where it goes from here, but if the last week is any indication of where it's going from here, the weekday business is going to be especially important to watch.

X-Men nailed a great hold, even if it's too late after two big drops.

Godzilla could squeeze past $200 million if all goes well from here on out.

A Million Ways to Die in the West and Neighbors both held a little bit better than I was expecting, although both were expectedly and understandably hit hard by the size of 22 Jump Street's opening.
  • Like 2

Edge of Tomorrow held up decently. Hopefully it will continue to hold up well, although I don't think it's going to have the stamina to top $100 million.

Next weekend is going to answer that. If it drops less than 40%, it'll do it. 

Curious that, with the exception of the Wall-E/Wanted weekend, nearly every time an animated movie opens the same week as an R-rated blockbuster, it underperforms. It happened to KFP2, Epic and now HTTYD2. You would think the opposite would be the case, since a) they appeal to different audiences and b ) any kids wanting to sneak into, say, 22JT would most likely buy a ticket for Dragon instead.

BTW I just realized that if Transformers doesn't open to $100M, Mockingjay might very well be the only movie this year to do so. That would be...kind of nutty.

You still got Battle of Five Armies to the $1B WW rescue

While the top 2 were in the expected range after Friday - its nice to see that the rest of the top 10 didn't just keel over.... not a truly boring weekend, just one that didn't "pop" as much as we thought it might.

• Like 1

About X-menPer Mojo....On Saturday, it crossed the $200 million mark, which makes it the first 20th Century Fox movie to get there since Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in January 2010.Is that the longest spell between "big" blockbusters that a major studio has ever gone???

Universal before DM Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Yeah last Hobbit movie has a solid chance to a 100m debut.

No it doesn't. December openings are much smaller than summer openings, and Wednesday release will burn off weekend demand. Unless you meant 5 day, which I would say is quite possible.
  • Like 1