Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Another reason for general box office discussion boredom is that there is no big bomb for the summer on the horizon either. The one movie with a budget big enough that it could have bombed has been moved out of summer.

No big hits + no breakouts + no big bombs = boredom on the boards.

Yeah, I meant to mention this a few pages ago too. Not only have there been no real breakouts, but there have been no reals bombs either. No Poseidon or Battleship or Speed Racer. No one really expected Blended to do much more than it did. A few people expected AMWTDITW to be a bigger hit, but most people saw the signs that it wouldn't be Ted 2.

Lots of folks were hoping for better for EOT, but everyone pretty much knew it was a tough sell, so there's no great surprise about it's run. And it seems to be getting some nice legs, so it's certainly no uberflop like RIPD or anything like that.

It's simply been about as average a summer as you can imagine. And actually just slightly below average, but not way below average. So not enough to generate lots of meltdowns and excitement.

We can't even say that just because a film makes 95 million domestic like Non-Stop and has a 3x multipler that "most people" liked it.  A movie that makes 95 domestic means that only about 11 million people went to see it, and there are a total of 325 million people in America.  95% of Americans didn't even see it, so they did not care enough about it in the first place to bother seeing it.

I agree. Forget the big ticket openings, this summer so far hasn't even had a surprise run like "Now You See Me" which opened above expectations and kept chugging along to a 4 multiplier. 

Also, when movies that a lot of people on the boards enjoyed like "Edge of Tomorrow" and "Dragon" underperform badly, it is kind of all adding up to a summer of indifference.

What this summer needs is a true breakout in the vein of a NYSM or even better, a Conjuring. I had hoped "Deliver us from evil" would have done a Conjuring type run, but the recent trailer has dashed my hopes at least. It looks very cliched now as opposed to the one scene trailer they had initially released.

I totally forgot about The Conjuring. Add that one to the list too as well as Now You See Me.

It's as simple as this....the surprise came early this year.

Posted Image

Well I predicted 95m for Cap 2. I think Stingray had that too. So I wasn't surprised. The big surprise was the overseas take. That was a huge improvement.

• Like 1

and about 20 minutes after Disney reports, WB reveals the number they choose for Lego:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $274,842 -34.1% 223 -94 $1,232 $256,334,467 $170 11

The LEGO Movie WB $241,404 -16.2% 301 +27 $802 $256,344,435 $60 19

As Nut Job's exciting numbers leave us we are given this horse race of numbers accounting to observe from WB. 

Truly an entertaining example of false record keeping as we've seen in some time. 

• Like 2

We can't even say that just because a film makes 95 million domestic like Non-Stop and has a 3x multipler that "most people" liked it. A movie that makes 95 domestic means that only about 11 million people went to see it, and there are a total of 325 million people in America. 95% of Americans didn't even see it, so they did not care enough about it in the first place to bother seeing it.

Legs are a good indication of word of mouth. The better the multi, the better the word of mouth, wouldn't everyone agree with that statement?Which would technically mean that those that saw it, liked it.
  • Like 1

Next summer will have bombs out the wazoo, we just gotta be patient

Terminator is waiting. Arnold is ready. I am pointing for an under 100M DOM total.

• Like 1

You can probably blame the generally not-very-exciting crop of movies this summer for that.

Going to have to disagree.

XM:DOFP, EOT and HTTYD2 are all better than everything released last summer.

IM3, MOS, F&F6 were all crap for one. That's three of the biggest movies last summer. Complete utter shit made so many millions.

$400m for Iron Man 3 is a joke. Nearly $300m for MOS is a joke. Make the crap and people will see them.

• Like 1

Its really disappointing to see Fault drop so hard. I guess its got its hardcore fans and unfortunately it hasn't broken past that. Too bad because its such an honest film. Theres so much beauty in it. I guess it will sneak past 100 but not much more.

I STILL have no interest in seeing Fault. Why do some people love DOOMED romances so much? :ph34r: