Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Update from Nikki:

UPDATE FRIDAY 6:30PM:  Yes, I’m back doing box office. Right now #1 is  22 Jump Street (Sony Pictures – 3,306 theaters) leading with $24M-$26M today and a possible $59M-$65M for this weekend. While #2 is  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $17M-$19M today for what could be a $47M to $52Meekend. Next update later tonight.

Posted Image

Great for 22 JS but meh for Dragon 2. 

• Like 1

On the other hand, Lord and Miller are officially gods among men.  :worthy:

Fuck yeah! Cloudy, LEGO, and both Jump Streets show how talented Lord and Miller are with comedy. I bet Hollywood is keeping a VERY close eye on them. :D

• Like 1

Update from Nikki:

Posted by Nikki Finke

Fri Jun 13, 2014 | 3:24pm PDTBox OfficeBreakingFilm

UPDATE FRIDAY 6:30PM:  Yes, I’m back doing box office. Right now #1 is  22 Jump Street (Sony Pictures – 3,306 theaters) leading with $24M-$26M today and a possible $59M-$65M for this weekend. While #2 is  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $17M-$19M today for what could be a $47M to $52Meekend. Next update later tonight.

Posted Image

The Queen is back.
  • Like 1

Update from Nikki:

Posted by Nikki Finke

Fri Jun 13, 2014 | 3:24pm PDTBox OfficeBreakingFilm

Posted Image

The low #s for HTTYD2 make me sad. :(
  • Like 3

Update from Nikki:

Posted Image

noooo, KFP3 will suffer  :(

• Like 1

Absolutely brutal for Dragons 2. Why the hell does Fox not promote their Dreamworks films? Should have stayed with Paramount.

Does Fox ever promote anything. They are always called out for that. (Though DoFP did open big after all the bs posters Fox released and made folks wait for the trailers so much.)

• Like 2

Fuck yeah! Cloudy, LEGO, and both Jump Streets show how talented Lord and Miller are with comedy. I bet Hollywood is keeping a VERY close eye on them. :D

Miller and Lord have proven themselves both in live action and animation. I want to see them tackle an original idea rather than adapting existing source material. It's a shame they turned down Ghostbusters as that would have been awesome to see.

Dreamworks Animation's slump continues, I do wonder whether it's the marketing or simply audiences are tired of their films.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Five years is not long enough for audiences to miss a film but too long for them to really care than if the gap had been shorter.

Ehh... I'm not buying it. I'm sure there are many counterexamples I could come up with.

The marketing for the film did leave something to be desired, I'll say. Too much focus on the comedy in the trailers, and you didn't really get a sense of what the main conflict was (Drago wasn't even in it, was he?)

• Like 1

Dragon is going to be perhaps one of the leggiest films of the summer, let's not panic.

So far the leggiest 100m+ film of the summer is Neighbors with a multiplier of 2.87. Will close in on 3.0 though eventually. So will Maleficent. With a 52m ow, HTTYD2 would need a 4.2 multiplier to catch HTTYD1. Possible, but that's the most it can get imo unless of course, the ow goes up. Should be way bigger than HTTYD1 os.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1