#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

3 mainstream, wide release movies have had an African-American as the main character so far this year (out of 68 mainstream movies).  These 3 movies have RT scores of 18%, 25%, and 69%.  Average out the 3 movies and you get an average RT of 37%.  Spike Lee was correct when he said that films like 12 Years a Slave or The Butler are really rare for the movie industry to make.  They are not the norm.  These 3 movies are the norm, or something dumb like Big Momma's House, Bad Boys 2, etc.  The movie industry should stop having such low standards for African-Americans who go to the movies.  They deserve better movies.  To be fair, people of all races go see dumb crap like Transformers sequels in high numbers, but at lehadast Caucasian people get to star in a wide variety of movies and roles.

I think your attitude towards people and movies is so fucking moronic. Since when have critics ever had the pulse of what people like. Take your attitude and take it out of here... elitism is sad.
  • Like 7

3 mainstream, wide release movies have had an African-American as the main character so far this year (out of 68 mainstream movies).  These 3 movies have RT scores of 18%, 25%, and 69%.  Average out the 3 movies and you get an average RT of 37%.  Spike Lee was correct when he said that films like 12 Years a Slave or The Butler are really rare for the movie industry to make.  They are not the norm.  These 3 movies are the norm, or something dumb like Big Momma's House, Bad Boys 2, etc.  The movie industry should stop having such low standards for African-Americans who go to the movies.  They deserve better movies.  To be fair, people of all races go see dumb crap like Transformers sequels in high numbers, but at least Caucasian people get to star in a wide variety of movies and roles.

Lol. 

3 mainstream, wide release movies have had an African-American as the main character so far this year (out of 68 mainstream movies).  These 3 movies have RT scores of 18%, 25%, and 69%.  Average out the 3 movies and you get an average RT of 37%.  Spike Lee was correct when he said that films like 12 Years a Slave or The Butler are really rare for the movie industry to make.  They are not the norm.  These 3 movies are the norm, or something dumb like Big Momma's House, Bad Boys 2, etc.  The movie industry should stop having such low standards for African-Americans who go to the movies.  They deserve better movies.  To be fair, people of all races go see dumb crap like Transformers sequels in high numbers, but at least Caucasian people get to star in a wide variety of movies and roles.

You know the success of these movies could ensure that African Americans get more respect in the film industry.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I think your attitude towards people and movies is so fucking moronic. Since when have critics ever had the pulse of what people like. Take your attitude and take it out of here... elitism is sad.

LMAO Baumer that was harsh.

The Fault In Our Stars is already crashing over here (it honestly started to crash last night). 3rd or 4th biggest OD of the year (there are doubts between it and TASM2, and this type of data is not available so we will never know), so terrific anyway.

3 mainstream, wide release movies have had an African-American as the main character so far this year (out of 68 mainstream movies).  These 3 movies have RT scores of 18%, 25%, and 69%.  Average out the 3 movies and you get an average RT of 37%. The movie industry should stop having such low standards for African-Americans who go to the movies. They deserve better movies.

Surely African-Americans don't watch only films with an African-American as the main character?

So what you are saying is "make like a tree..."?  :P

• Like 1

This reminds me of when people accuse Gremlins of being racist.

Not sure I ever heard that one.  I think I need the background now :P 

yes I have seen the movie so you don't have to explain that part

Critics usually do have the pulse of what people and general audiences like.  Take a look at the RT scores of Catching Fire, Frozen, Gravity, Dark Knight, Lord of The Rings, Spider-Man 2, Captain America 2.  The majority of the time the two are highly correlated.  The critics trashed Seth McFarlane and Adam Sandler's latest comedies, and audiences did as well.

Que? Um, Big Mommas House is a personal favorite among the black crowd. I remember my mom taking me to it when I was 6. The black community loves Martin Lawrence, hence why Martin is still going strong on TV. Kevin Hart is the new Martin Lawrence, movies and TV. His show on BET gets great ratings and his movies are now hit after hit, and hes now been able to break out to other races.Most of us, like 95%, dont care what critics (or Spike Lee) think, and would rather sit through something enjoyable and lighthearted like Big Mommas House than something like Butler or 12 Years that just shows pain and tension. I havent even gotten the patience to watch 12 Years yet. I only watched Django so fast because it was part comedy. Why would I sit through black people getting whipped and beaten for 3 hours when I can sit through black people fucking around in Vegas for 90 minutes? Because its "an Oscar movie?" Yeah call me when BET and VH1 airs 12 Years. VH1 is airing TLAM this weekend and BET is airing a TLAM2 special tonight.Who gives a shit if TLAM2 has a 24%? It's going to satisfy black (and other) audiences this weekend, and make money. And thats all that matters. I dont know if youre black or not, but if you are, I dont know what black people you hang around. Yes we want more roles, but we're not snobby in our choices like you think.
  • Like 10

Give 'em hell, baumer. 

• Like 1

Critics usually do have the pulse of what people and general audiences like.  Take a look at the RT scores of Catching Fire, Frozen, Gravity, Dark Knight, Lord of The Rings, Spider-Man 2, Captain America 2.  The majority of the time the two are highly correlated.  The critics trashed Seth McFarlane and Adam Sandler's latest comedies, and audiences did as well.

wow. almost ten examples there.

• Like 9

You know the success of these movies could ensure that African Americans get more respect in the film industry.

If you make them somewhat more intelligent, they will end up making more money.  Look at some of Denzel Washington's films like American Gangster and others.  These low-brow comedies that keep coming out with RT scores in the teens or 20s are really regressive.