La Binoche

Tues #s (Rth): 22j 4.4,HTTYD2 4.3,TLAM2 2.5,Malef 2.3,JB 2

This Week's Predictions 

Transformers: Age of Extinction will win the weekend by a large margin without question, but what may be interesting to see is how last week's Top 3 movies end up and whether the presence of Michael Bay's latest may hurt some of the stronger movies allowing the only PG family film, DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon 2, to pull ahead of them. With the entry into the Top 10 being less than a million, there's also an opportunity for a limited release to expand wider and break into the Top 10, but it's hard to see what could do that well.

1. Transformers: Age of Extinction (Paramount) - $103.4 million NA

2. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation, 20th Century Fox) - $15 million -41%

3. 22 Jump Street (Sony) - $14.8 million -49%

4. Think Like a Man Too (Sony/Screen Gems) - $14.1 million -53%

5. Jersey Boys (Warner Bros.) - $7.8 million -42%

6. Maleficent (Walt Disney Pictures) - $7.2 million -45%

7. Edge of Tomorrow (Warner Bros) - $5.5 million -47%

8. The Fault in Our Stars (20th Century Fox) - $5 million -42%

9. X-Men: Days of Future Past (20th Century Fox) - $2.8 million -55%

10. Chef (Open Road) - $1.1 million -35%

Read more: The Weekend Warrior: Transformers: Age of Extinction - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=119796#ixzz35euESVTg 

:unsure:

Ill be needing Mal to get at least 8 Million, hopefully JB will crash

• Like 2

I'm probably going to look back at this month scratching my head at why Maleficent--among the worst family movies I've ever seen--did so much better than Dragon 2, one of the best family movies I've ever seen.

A few big reasons IMO

1.  Angelina Jolie

2.  Sleeping Beauty is a true classic that's been around for generations.  Families have been showing it to kids for a while.  And Maleficent was basically advertised as Sleeping Beauty from a different pov.  

3.  Same families who saw Frozen probably saw the trailer.  Can't get any better movie to attach a similar styled trailer to than that.  Trailer was also attached to CATWS so got double exposure.  I recall only seeing HTTYD 2 trailer once.

• Like 2

So Maleficent is

I Spit on Your Grave

for the family crowd?

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that, and it somewhat changes my perception of the film.

Oh, I noticed the rape metaphor, but didn't quite delve into the implications. There's definitely something to unpack there.

• Like 1

Fault in our Stars - 1.75

Edge of Tomorrow - 1.57

Days of Future Past - 1.04

Great jumps.  About +31% for both EoT and DoFP.  And down only -25% from last week for EoT.  Hoping TF4 doesn't cut it's legs too much.

• Like 2

First Class also dropped 56% against TF3 (Wednesday release) with an inflated Sunday. Otherwise drop would have been around 60%.

DOFP will be at 220m after Thursday. The weekend would probably be around 2.5m. I can only see it getting 230m from there.

FC also lost 1.0k theaters (47%) of its 2.9k theaters in the same weekend.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

FIOS down 33% from last tuesday. It should have enough left to challenge for 125 mill and internationally it's doing well.  So it could do 200+ WW...not bad for a 12 million dollar budget.

• Like 3

if Maleficent make more than Oz, I will be like

Posted Image

lol, you're a riot.

You laugh when it makes more than Dragon 2 and you get all sullied up if it beats Oz? Oz is shit, probably worse than Maleficent.

• Like 1

I think it'll be a tight little race between it and Godzilla to get there. The big guy is still pulling in 200K days and ASM2 is under 100K days with much less theaters and more to lose than Zilla will. It's only a $4+ difference at present. 

• Like 1

First Class also dropped 56% against TF3 (Wednesday release) with an inflated Sunday. Otherwise drop would have been around 60%.

DOFP will be at 220m after Thursday. The weekend would probably be around 2.5m. I can only see it getting 230m from there.

XFC was not performing as well(drops in the 50s, anyway) and at a lower level(it lost a huge chunk of theaters as a result). We'll see how theater owners respond this time.

• Like 1