#ED

Wknd #s: TF4 - 36.4M | Tam - 21.2M (32.9M) | DUFE - 9.5M (15M) | ETE - 8.3M (13.5M) | pg49 (We love the 90s/70s)

I think quality wise this summer has been bad.ASM2 was decentChef and Fault were awesomeTrans4 was goodDOFP was good as was EOTMaleficent was awfulTammy was bowel movement awfulGodzilla was dirty diaper with Indian food bad22JS was disappointingNeighbors was decentmillion ways was decentJersey Boys wss decentTLAM2 was disappointing

• Like 2

Did you forget your endless meltdowns over The Avengers? You were insufferable.

My "meltdowns" were about how much I disliked the silly "Whedonesque" humor in film, and how much I hated that Whedon, who allegedly is a kickass writer of female characters, only used one female Avenger (and a crappy, no-powers one at that) for the film. I did hate the fact that it was so successful, but I never (check the archives) ever tried to rationalize the commercial success of the film with absurdities like "The Avengers is not successful because audiences loved it or connected with it. it's a hit because audiences are desperate, and there's nothing else, so they are trying to latch on to a film that they can call an event." What the fuck does that even mean?

She still has Mike and Molly

Never heard anyone talk about that show.

Me either but it's been around long enough

I didn't realise it was still going. It's been renewed for a 5th season.

I think quality wise this summer has been bad.ASM2 was decentChef and Fault were awesomeTrans4 was goodDOFP was good as was EOTMaleficent was awfulTammy was bowel movement awfulGodzilla was dirty diaper with Indian food bad22JS was disappointingNeighbors was decentmillion ways was decentJersey Boys wss decentTLAM2 was disappointing

A lot of people would disagree with you, myself included.
  • Like 3

You still need to see Dragon 2! I've said it so many times but I won't rest until you do! Didn't you give the first one a 10/10?
  • Like 2

I have to agree with Mr. Muscle: It's been pretty crappy. Godzilla, EoT and Maleficent were all poop.

I haven't seen EOT or 22JSBut if I don't even count Snowpiercer so far this summer I have loved Godzilla, DOFP, Fault, and Httyd2 plus I enjoyed Neighbors.Only movies I thought were crap were Tasm2, Maleficent, and Million ways to die, and even those three duds were better than the duds we got last year by this point (gag Hangover 3, After Earth, Now You See Me, Great Gatsby, Man of Steal Your Money, White House Down, and that was just pre-June before the really terrible duds showed up)
  • Like 1

I quiet liked Chef. Although it's had a good run for it's release pattern it would have been nice to see it break out a bit more.

I wanted to see Chef, never got to, I'll probsbly end up renting it.

My "meltdowns" were about how much I disliked the silly "Whedonesque" humor in film, and how much I hated that Whedon, who allegedly is a kickass writer of female characters, only used one female Avenger (and a crappy, no-powers one at that) for the film. I did hate the fact that it was so successful, but I never (check the archives) ever tried to rationalize the commercial success of the film with absurdities like "The Avengers is not successful because audiences loved it or connected with it. it's a hit because audiences are desperate, and there's nothing else, so they are trying to latch on to a film that they can call an event." What the fuck does that even mean?

You took it the wrong way, girl.

I didn't mean it as 'Maleficent's only watched by dumb and desperate people who have nothing else to watch' the way you interpret it.

What I meant was, the market's so crowded with male-centric blockbusters so Maleficent has become one and only alternative choice for females/family hence it doesn't have to be all that great to have a good WOM to sustain such leggy run. Has TASM2 been the only SH movie this year and the only male-centric action flicks this summer it could have had the same run the same WOM as Maleficent.

Transformers being a huge exception, most critics actually enjoy the big films that come out each year, especially now.

Looking at kayu's post just above yours, there are many duds actually.

Really the only summer movies I'm interested in watching are Apes, GOTG, DOFP, EOT Dragon, 22 JS and Chef. And maybe Godzilla

Wait, watching? So you've not seen them? EOT, DOFP, Dragon, 22JS, Chef, Godzilla...but they're all out already.

Looking at kayu's post just above yours, there are many duds actually. Wait, watching? So you've not seen them? EOT, DOFP, Dragon, 22JS, Chef, Godzilla...but they're all out already.

Nope I'll catch them at home

You took it the wrong way, girl.

I didn't mean it as 'Maleficent's only watched by dumb and desperate people who have nothing else to watch' the way you interpret it.

What I meant was, the market's so crowded with male-centric blockbusters so Maleficent has become one and only alternative choice for females/family hence it doesn't have to be all that great to have a good WOM to sustain such leggy run. Has TASM2 been the only SH movie this year and the only male-centric action flicks this summer it could have had the same run the same WOM as Maleficent.

There are plenty of movies geared at women too, starting with rom coms.  They don't need to be blockbusters.  There are also plenty of options other than movies from theaters to watch.

It's still doesn't make sense that women will be desperate to see a movie they don't like because there is no other option available for them.  I mean the premise that anyone will go watch a movie they don't like, pay for it just out of desperation because of nothing else available to them doesn't make sense.

If they don't like it, why chose it among others out of desperation ?  It's clear something attracted them to it more than any other despite the so called desperation.

Edited by Ent