Ash Skywalker

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | In theaters

It really depends on how well the sequels will do. Also, looking at Fox's 2015 line-up, TMR 2 might actually be their second biggest movie WW behind KFP 3. I see TMR finishing over 350M. The sequel would look to 450-500M, and that would be enough to beat FF, B.O.O., Paper Towns and the Peanuts Movie methinks..

You're kind of taking it for granted that the sequel will increase. It doesn't always happen. I think they should be satisfied if it just manages to remain steady with around 300-350m ww.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that?

I am gonna be honest here, and this is assuming Maze Runner will have the same legs as Divergent, I have no clue what both of them will make. Both can go either way. 

• Like 1

Releasing a sequel a year after the first didn't seem to hurt The Hunger Games franchise. Heck, the sequel outgrossed the original by more than $200 million WW. As long as the sequel follows the original in terms of storyline and quality, TMR franchise is ok.

Catching Fire was released 20 months after the first film, but nonetheless, I agree. Releasing it next year will only benefit the film. The only concern I have right now is more on the technical side of things.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that?

The performance of both of these indicates that they're not mainstream phenomenons a la the big three, but rather semi-popular book franchises with a mostly fixed audience. I don't think the movies (especially Divergent, which was reviewed fairly poorly) brought in many fans who were not readers of the book.

With the exception of the first and second Twilight, YA franchises are fairly steady. I expect the same to happen with these two.

• Like 1