Ash Skywalker

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | In theaters

Spielberg can't even open 25M+ any more? Lincoln, a drama with no big star, opened to 21M... Spielberg+Hanks is a known winning combination. People will turn up provided that the marketing can make them aware of the film.

When the ad played during the GOP debate last month there was tons of interest online.

Edited by WrathOfHan

I don't think Bridge of Spies will open that high, Steve Jobs will probably open higher than that IMO

I think the Spielberg/Hanks connection will be enough for around $25 million. The Walk, Everest and The Martian are all slightly effects-driven, while Bridge of Spies is a straight older-skewing Cold War drama. Steve Jobs should skew much younger, and nothing in November except By the Sea targets Bridge's demo. 

Steve Jobs probably will, with Universal's hot streak this year  :lol: I could see $30-35 million OW with their marketing department. 

Great minds think alike. ;)

I can't really comment on BLACK MASS's BO as it has had no marketing here due to different release schedules.

It's selling more tickets than Maze Runner 2. Since that's a frontloaded YA sequel, it signals that Black Mass is heading for a sizable breakout - at least in the USA.

The marketing has been solid here, and really showcases the fact that it's Johnny Depp's best performance in quite a while. Plus, F4 bombing has left dead space in the BO  :lol: wouldn't be surprised to see big openers from now until October 23rd tbh. 

I doubt Goosebumps will do 37M otherwise those are pretty good predictions.

I think the excellent advanced reviews and the Halloween timing will help it out. Plus, Pan bombing the weekend before would leave some room for a family-friendly entry in the marketplace. 

$37 million is bullish, so maybe closer to $23-26 million. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

If Goosebumps was actually opening on Halloween then I think it could do close to 40M too, but it opens a tad too early to get that high. Marketing hasn't been great for it, though with any luck it will get great legs (if the reviews are to be believed, that is).

Hotel Transylvania and Pan mean the family market is already fairly busy... success is not guaranteed.

Edited by Tree-5000
  • Like 1

I think the Spielberg/Hanks connection will be enough for around $25 million. The Walk, Everest and The Martian are all slightly effects-driven, while Bridge of Spies is a straight older-skewing Cold War drama. Steve Jobs should skew much younger, and nothing in November except By the Sea targets Bridge's demo. 

Steve Jobs probably will, with Universal's hot streak this year  :lol: I could see $30-35 million OW with their marketing department. 

It's selling more tickets than Maze Runner 2. Since that's a frontloaded YA sequel, it signals that Black Mass is heading for a sizable breakout - at least in the USA.

The marketing has been solid here, and really showcases the fact that it's Johnny Depp's best performance in quite a while. Plus, F4 bombing has left dead space in the BO  :lol: wouldn't be surprised to see big openers from now until October 23rd tbh. 

I think the excellent advanced reviews and the Halloween timing will help it out. Plus, Pan bombing the weekend before would leave some room for a family-friendly entry in the marketplace. 

$37 million is bullish, so maybe closer to $23-26 million.

Yeah, that's what I'm going with right now. If reviews are strong then I could see it doing 30's.

• Like 1

Black Mass: $53 million

MR2: $41 million 

Next weekend

HT2: $42 million 

Everest: $30 million (after its IMAX debut) 

10/2

Martian: $46 million 

10/16

Goosebumps: $37 million 

Bridge of Spies: $28 million 

Crimson Peak: $22 million 

10/23

Steve Jobs: $24 million 

Paranormal Activity: $21 million 

Fall 2015 is just looking huge, at this point.

At this point, it is clear that most of you guys predicate your predictions on what you want the movie to make because there is no way hell that Black Mass grosses $53,000,000 in its first weekend. In its opening weekend, it is going to gross $30,000,000 at the most. 

• Like 1

People really think Black Mass is going to do THAT well?

At this point, it is clear that most of you guys predicate your predictions on what you want the movie to make because there is no way hell that Black Mass grosses $53,000,000 in its first weekend. In its opening weekend, it is going to gross $30,000,000 at the most.

Looks like you guys haven't been looking at MovieTickets' tracking.

• Like 1

I'm not feeling ANY hype for this movie. :ph34r:

Usually right before a big YA sequel like New Moon or Catching Fire is released, internet buzz is so huge.

Now I'm expecting DOM around the first Maze Runner, with boost a OS.

I loved the movie, but I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm in the UK, and I felt absolutely no hype for this. I went to the cinema for another movie that turned out to not be playing, I saw this was showing and I went in. I had no idea it had been released. surprised it made so much money imo

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

Looks like you guys haven't been looking at MovieTickets' tracking.

That MovieTickets website proves what exactly? War Room sat at number one with approximately 40% the Monday before its released. A movie's being at 32% while another is sitting at twelve percent does not mean that it is earning almost three times as much money. Believe what you want to believe, but when it opens far below $50,000,00, do not act surprised or say that tracking was saying otherwise. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

While advanced tickets can be a good indicator, it obviously isn't everything. For example, my theatre (a smaller theatre granted but still a theatre) has only sold a few advance tickets for Scorch Trials so far. However, just when I'm in box office, I've had many people actually come up and ask if they should buy advanced tickets ("is it going to be as busy as hunger games?") I told them they didn't need to. So with smaller films like this, advanced ticket sales could be mitigated even more.

It didn't even open at number 1 in the UK, it was beaten by Legend ( an 18 rated gangster movie. Legend almost made double what Maze Runner 2 did.

Not sure what the point of your comment is. You're passing Legend off as if it is some sort of tiny movie... Legend's opening in the UK is equivalent to about $65M if it was in USA. Nothing to be sneered at...

• Like 1

That MovieTickets website proves what exactly? War Room sat at number one with approximately 40% the Monday before its released. A movie's being at 32% while another is sitting at twelve percent does not mean that it is earning almost three times as much money. Believe what you want to believe, but when it opens far below $50,000,00, do not act surprised or say that tracking was saying otherwise. 

Oh I won't be surprised, but it's doing more than 10 times what Maze Runner is.