baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

The thing about Potter that bugs me is that it takes waaaaaaay too fucking long to get to Harry and Voldemorts battle. 7 book.....and I thought ROTK was bloated.

• Like 1

Goblet is horrible. Worst movie of the franchise. Mike Newell is the Brett Ratner of the HP franchise

Nah, that is Chamber of Secrets.

Order of the Phoenix is a TV movie through and through. The worst by far.

All 3 are not good really, and my opinion changes from time to time on which one I think is the worst.

The best way to preserve the various meanderings and digressions from the book would've been a premium-cable TV series.

The best way to make 7 good movies would've been to ruthlessly trim in order to emphasize the key character beats and moments.

Trying to have it both ways resulted in movies that were overstuffed and skimmed past key emotional moments in order to fit as much of each book as possible into the film, relying on the viewer's deep familiarity (and love) of the books to reinforce those lackluster beats.

• Like 2

The best way to preserve the various meanderings and digressions from the book would've been a premium-cable TV series.

The best way to make 7 good movies would've been to ruthlessly trim in order to emphasize the key character beats and moments.

Trying to have it both ways resulted in movies that were overstuffed and skimmed past key emotional moments in order to fit as much of each book as possible into the film, relying on the viewer's deep familiarity (and love) of the books to reinforce those lackluster beats.

That sounds good and all, but Tele, Hollywood is more interested in the mula, than being 100% faithful to the books.

Edited by Pokearcher

I was 8 when I saw the first one opening day and I was 18 when I saw the 8th one opening day. I literally grew up with the franchise so its hard for me to not feel connected even though I never read the books. 

• Like 4

That sounds good and all, but Tele, Hollywood is more interested in the mula, than being 100% faithful to the books.

I don't care if they're faithful or not. If they wanted to make good movies, then they should've been quite a bit less faithful, at least in terms of fitting stuff in.

I was 8 when I saw the first one opening day and I was 18 when I saw the 8th one opening day. I literally grew up with the franchise so its hard for me to not feel connected even though I never read the books. 

I actually saw the first one around my birthday, and I was really into the books as a kid, so it holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

• Like 2

I don't care if they're faithful or not. If they wanted to make good movies, then they should've been quite a bit less faithful, at least in terms of fitting stuff in.

I'm sure the execs are WB are crying themselves to sleep from all the dough the Harry Potter franchise made, because it was too faithful to the books.

Edited by Pokearcher

At least it was made clear there were going to BE two parts. I still can't figure out why Universal didn't mention that Back to the Future Part II was going to lead directly into Part III, or why Disney repeated THE SAME MISTAKE with Dead Man's Chest 16 years later. In both cases, the cliffhanger pissed a bunch of people off because there was no advance warning that the film wasn't going to have an ending.(Though actually, I do wonder if critics would have had just as much of a problem with BTTF2, and ESPECIALLY DMC, if "this is part one of a two-part finale" had been publicized beforehand a la DH1+2.)

Were people that enraged? I loved that DMC cliffhanger. POTC was just on fire back then.

The Catching Fire cliffhanger is in the book.

Though I didn't like the Potter split at the time, because of how great part one was, I forgave it. Part two wasn't very good though, but that is no fault of the split and more the direction and script.

The rest are jokes. No need to split Breaking Dawn or Mockingjay or Hobbit into three or Allegiant, which I think won't ever be big anyway, so it's a dumb move. And then there's Katzenberg the idiot wanting to split HTTYD3 into part 4 too. I think the disappointment might have tempered him though.

I'm sure the execs are WB are crying themselves to sleep from all the dough the Harry Potter franchise made, because it was too faithful to the books.

But they are probably crying at the fact they should have just divided every book into 2 instead of just the final one :lol: 

Is that why I was bored out of my mind watching the last three movies in theaters? I was ready for the series to be over, despite a major long-time fan of the books.

• Like 1

I think it looks ugly, the action is terribly shot and the score is a complete shambles.

To my memory the first 10 minutes are gorgeous. Plus the death of Black is epic and the score is wonderful in the last half of the 3rd act. 

To be honest I think the one thing the Potter franchise has always been is top notch technically. All have above average music and Cinematography in my mind. 

• Like 2

Sure, of course they made a lot of money. But I'm not talking financially at all. They would've made a ton of money had they made good movies too.

Tele wasn't talking about the grosses they made, just about the quality or lack thereof in certain parts because of the how they were adapted. He's dead right too.

To my memory the first 10 minutes are gorgeous. Plus the death of Black is epic and the score is wonderful in the last half of the 3rd act. 

To be honest I think the one thing the Potter franchise has always been is top notch technically. All have above average music and Cinematography in my mind. 

Eh, I thought the death of Sirius was woefully handled, Radcliffe was especially horrible in the aftermath. And the score is, for my money, terrible. Easily one of the worst for a movie of that size.

• Like 1