baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

Sure, of course they made a lot of money. But I'm not talking financially at all. They would've made a ton of money had they made good movies too.

I agree, but the quality wouldn't have been better or worse if they had them any less faithful to the books, and they took out a lot of stuff as it is.

• Like 1

I don't care if they're faithful or not. If they wanted to make good movies, then they should've been quite a bit less faithful, at least in terms of fitting stuff in.

I don't care if there are critics like you though since the Potter fanbase, as is being discussed in this very thread, turned up all the time and made all that money for WB and the majority of the fans like the majority of the movies.

And if millions upon millions of people still think the movies are good despite being fan-adhering, then it's completely fine.

Problem with DH1 is a lack of a climax.

Problem with DH2 is the final duel is a bit of a let down. 

Golblet of fire also appealed as it added dating and was the "gang is in their teens now" feel 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I enjoyed Phoenix. After that film, I found myself caring less and less about the whole thing. Maybe that's because Deathly Hallows (the book) had already come out. I've only seen Prince and both DH films once.

• Like 1

I don't care if there are critics like you though since the Potter fanbase, as is being discussed in this very thread, turned up all the time and made all that money for WB and the majority of the fans like the majority of the movies.And if millions upon millions of people still think the movies are good despite being fan-adhering, then it's completely fine.

The problem is that these are movies. They need to be movies first and foremost. That means distilling the source material down to it's very essence and making a movie based off that. It should be made in such a way that you don't have to read the book to enjoy the movie. They need to have their own identity. The later movies got so crazy that you really had to read the books to fully understand everything that was happening.

Were people that enraged? I loved that DMC cliffhanger. POTC was just on fire back then.

Eh, not really. I guess it just caught people off guard. It caught ME off guard.

The Catching Fire cliffhanger is in the book.

Yes, but I remember hearing stories of people criticizing it. And Desolation of Smaug (which was unexpected, I remember people kind of upset there wasn't any kind of ending).Back to the Future Part II was COMPLETELY unexpected in 1989. For someone who spoils too much in his trailers, I agree with Zemeckis on one thing: It should have been advertised as "part 2 of the Back to the Future TRILOGY." But Universal advertised it as if it were a freestanding film - and why would anyone think otherwise? Even Empire Strikes Back had an ENDING, albeit open-ended. So when that "To Be Concluded..." popped up, people were caught off-guard.I'm not sure if that negatively affected the gross for III, or if it was negative reactions to II in general, or people not interested in a Western, or just that summer 1990 was shit in almost the same way this summer was shit. (Though BTTF3 didn't cost an arm and a leg, so it still made a handy profit.)But I digress, this has nothing to do with Potter, I now return you to your regularly scheduled HP discussion. Edited by TServo2049

The problem is that these are movies. They need to be movies first and foremost. That means distilling the source material down to it's very essence and making a movie based off that. It should be made in such a way that you don't have to read the book to enjoy the movie.They need to have their own identity. The later movies got so crazy that you really had to read the books to fully understand everything that was happening.

I understand this point of view if you haven't read the book, but the movies already leave out a lot, when I re-read some of the books I was surprised at how much they had just not included, so to me, I think that some of them, at least, though I enjoy them all, are great movies and adaptations.

I know it's "lazy" but with such a huge fanbase, you don't have to care if people miss points. I still think they are great movies and for this franchise more than most, heck, maybe more than all, I literally don't care if people want to call them bad movies or if people have problems with them because to me, it was my childhood, going through all of them and those amazing experiences means I'm glad they were made the way they did. The one I didn't like the most was Phoenix, at the time, which left out so much and was the shortest movie. DH2 also annoyed me but that's because as a finale, it didn't really do Potter justice and that's down to Yates direction and Kloves writing. Iconic moments should have been worked in much better than they did, but I don't think Yates can really direct action anyway, perhaps why HBP and DH1 are so much better than Phoenix and DH2.

Eh, not really. I guess it just caught people off guard. It caught ME off guard.Yes, but I remember hearing stories of people criticizing it. And Desolation of Smaug (which was unexpected, I remember people kind of upset there wasn't any kind of ending).Back to the Future Part II was COMPLETELY unexpected in 1989. For someone who spoils too much in his trailers, I agree with Zemeckis on one thing: It should have been advertised as "part 2 of the Back to the Future TRILOGY." Universal advertised it as if it were a freestanding film - and why would anyone think otherwise? Even Empire Strikes Back had an ENDING, albeit open-ended. So when that "To Be Concluded..." popped up, people were caught off-guard. I'm not sure if that negatively affected the gross for III, or if it was negative reactions to II in general, or people not interested in a Western, or just that summer 1990 was shit in almost the same way this summer was shit. (Though the difference is that BTTF3 didn't cost an arm and a leg, so it still made a handy profit.)

I guess it depends on how the movie leaves you, the mood you're in before the cut. If a movie has lost your interest, then you're more likely to use it against it, otherwise, I think you'd be hyped up for the next. I almost expect Hollywood blockbusters to end on a sequel? note anyway. I guess a cliffhanger is in the extreme and not many people may be fond of that as, as you said, it doesn't finish a movie so it's not really complete in that sense.

DMC is still one of the most fun experiences I've had in the cinema. AWE was a major, boring, inane disappointment.

• Like 1

The thing about Potter that bugs me is that it takes waaaaaaay too fucking long to get to Harry and Voldemorts battle. 7 book.....and I thought ROTK was bloated.

You should be thankful you haven't read other famous fantasy series then.

• Like 1

Girlfriend and I skipped Stone (we've both seen it too many times already) and went straight to Chamber of Secrets. We're 64 minutes in and GOD WHY IS THERE ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF LEFT?

Every time a new a Harry Potter movie came out, I marathoned all the ones before it.By all, I mean...Prisoner of Azkaban onwards.

Girlfriend and I skipped Stone (we've both seen it too many times already) and went straight to Chamber of Secrets. We're 64 minutes in and GOD WHY IS THERE ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF LEFT?

We aren't friends anymore, you have to start with number #1 always, no matter what.

• Like 3

We aren't friends anymore, you have to start with number #1 always, no matter what.

By #1, you mean PoA, right?I agree.We're going to argue about this at TDK, aren't we? Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1