baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

The other problem with Potter is that he ends up being nothing special. All that build up and hes just another wizard.

• Like 1

I think I agree with you Baumer.  Eight films ALL grossing as much as they did.  I think what sets this franchise apart is the large number of sequels.  We will continue to see smaller runs like Hunger Games (4 movies) which will pull in big numbers but 7-10?  We may not see that again over the next 40 years.  

• Like 2

Where did all those profits go? Is Warner Brothers flush with cash for years to come or has the franchise's success already been forgotten within the studio boardrooms (on to the next hit)?

They made tons of profit. There's no good reason to think otherwise (and if you post THAT article, you'll hear an earful from me).Though yes, always on to the next one. Such is how public companies work. Money made in prior years means nothing to stockholders. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

The other problem with Potter is that he ends up being nothing special. All that build up and hes just another wizard.

But that's the whole point. For all the of the prophecies and whatnot, he's a relatively normal teenager who grew up far faster in both maturity and experiences than normal because of the events around him. It's what makes him a pretty relatable literary protagonist for a lot of kids.

• Like 2

So, am I the only one here who hasn't seen anything past GoF?

Possibly :P

I only saw one of them in a theater, the rest I waited until cable and had nothing else to do, so I watched.

But yeah, even I saw the whole series ;)

• Like 2

I tried, I tried really hard but back at the day I was too concerned if they kept by the books and they really really didn't and it pissed me off. I think I saw the first one like 7-8 times though cause it was on TV all the time.

• Like 1

Also, Twilight, for all the hate it gets, sustained its popularity as well. It was never as big a hit WW, but it did very well domestically...but to see the kind of success Potter had internationally, is quite stunning.

Hunger Games is doing it as well, it just has less books, if it had 7 I think it would be identical to Potter.It really has to do with the built in YA fanbases, they rush out to see the movie and are extremely loyal. So when a franchise hits big with the YA fanbase it does mean franchise consistency.I'm not amazed at Potter, the consistency has to do with there being 7 books and a fanbase invested in a story and wanting to see it close. Most of the franchises that you brought up aren't like Potter in that they aren't x parts in one story they are x stories about a character or group of characters.For example, LOTR went out the gate strong and finished even stronger because it was 3 parts to one big story that invested the audiences, they wanted to see it though. Same with the first 3 pirates movies, so when the fourth pirate movie came out and it was a new story with new characters it wasn't as investing thus a drop off.For example, when the potter spin off comes out it's likely it drops off like The Hobbit, Stranger Tides, TASM, or AoE, because it's not as investing because the story was already completed.
  • Like 1

Fantastic Beasts, even if everything goes right for it, will never overcome the stigma of being a Harry Potter movie without Harry Potter.

Maybe. But the fans (like me and every other fan I know) will accept a compromise just to return to that world. 

• Like 1