baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

I agree with you on SS. It isn't close to being as bad as COS. GOF & OOTP are worse than it too. 

People argue that GOF is some terrible Potter movie yet it arguably had the best WOM off the lot.

• Like 1

Just found this thread. Pretty agree, baumer. Great initial post :)

I think we will never see another example like this. 10 years, 8 movies, nearly 1 per year, and the constancy in numbers was really awesome (beyond inflation or expansion factors). Just during 3 movies, LOTR was able to keep that pattern and in the same level (what a great showdown we lived between both in 2001 and 2002), but 8 movies is just outstanding.

It is not my favorite franchise, but I enjoyed it, even those movies which are not so good considered. And I still do not understand how the best one, Azkaban, was the worst grosser of the whole series. Maybe as many have said, because previous chapter was not well received. I had always thought it was because it was the first not being released in November, and the only one released in June, I do not know if it had been released in July or November it would had grossed more. I consider June as a difficult month.

And as you mentioned, it is inevitable to compare it to other enormous franchises like Star Wars or LOTR. IMHO, the time gap between the two trilogies in both franchises was detrimental for them. Original trilogies in both cases are considered something close to masterpieces and, as the over time between original and new trilogy has been greater, the sensation of mythification of former trilogies is bigger and new trilogies have more disadvantages to make people return to theaters and can enjoy them like they did with the original ones.

IMO, Harry Potter used that "advantage", and although it had the risk of fatigue (what in fact happened given any sequel grossed more than first part excepting last one), the constancy in numbers and the glorious numbers of last chapter are the evidences that many things were made really well.

• Like 2

In terms of tickets sold domestically its

Hp1

GOF
Hp2

DH2

Hp5 

Hp6

POA

DH1

Adjusted

1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $445,067,300

2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,999,700

3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $359,595,100

4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets WB $357,530,400

5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $337,842,700

6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $322,150,200

7 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban WB $319,862,600

8 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $294,433,900

(DH2 3D share was low but was still in existence) 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

So DH2's admissions were lower than COS and GOF? 3D aside, I guess it just FELT bigger because so many admissions were frontloaded into the midnights/OD/OW.And to Jack: That reminds me, I still want to see the footage of Rik Mayall as Peeves. 13 years and we still haven't seen it. That cheeses me off because Mayall is hilarious, and I was looking forward to that as soon as he was announced - but never got to see it.

Edited by TServo2049

Hmmm I've only see a few parts of a couple of films in this franchise. Not a fan of fantasy stuff.

But still, boxoffice-wise this is a dominating franchise that studios always dreamed of. I wonder how much J. K. Rowling got from the 7 movies.

She seems to still be on great terms with WB, so let's just assume "a lot." (Otherwise we'd hear about her suing WB or complaining about them in the press or something.)And as explained, she did a Bill Gates and gave a lot of it to charity.

Edited by TServo2049

Keep in mind, the basis of the post is that the reason you will never see another series like this is because first of all, you will probably never see 7 books sell the crazy numbers that Potter did and this obviously translated into big movie sales as well.  But more so, to sustain the level of interest over a decade and 8 films, is nothing short of remarkable.

• Like 3

Keep in mind, the basis of the post is that the reason you will never see another series like this is because first of all, you will probably never see 7 books sell the crazy numbers that Potter did and this obviously translated into big movie sales as well.  But more so, to sustain the level of interest over a decade and 8 films, is nothing short of remarkable.

I agree. Just the scope of this franchise has assured it a permanent and important place in history. We'll never see anything like it again.

• Like 1

In terms of tickets sold domestically its Hp1GOFHp2DH2Hp5 Hp6POADH1 Adjusted1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $445,067,3002 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,999,7003 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $359,595,1004 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets WB $357,530,4005 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $337,842,7006 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $322,150,2007 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban WB $319,862,6008 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $294,433,900 (DH2 3D share was low but was still in existence) 

DH2 could be either 4th, 3rd, or 2nd. Too close to call.
  • Like 3

I really disliked HBP when I first saw it, now it's in my top 3 Potters. I learn to love and appreciate it more with every viewing. It's a special film.

same here, it's my favorite HP movie now.

I saw the HBP with 10 other guys from the football team and about half way through they all wanted to know what I thought. All I said was the cinematography is gorgeous and they all erupted into laugher.

lol you should have said "yeah it's fine, but Hermione is fucking hot" or something like that

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Goblet, Order and Half-Blood are all the same movie to me. I can't differentiate them at all for some reason.

Half-Blood Prince is the complete polar opposite of Goblet of Fire.
  • Like 1

Goblet, Order and Half-Blood are all the same movie to me. I can't differentiate them at all for some reason.

Sir, you have a problem then. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

Half-Blood Prince is the complete polar opposite of Goblet of Fire.

All I remember is that Pattinson died in Goblet, Phoenix had that treacherous teacher and Half-blood... nope, I got nothing. Put a gun to my head and I'd remember nothing about it. But then, I've only seen them all once upon release. Apart from the finale they all sort of congeal into one another.

Edited by Hatebox

I saw the HBP with 10 other guys from the football team and about half way through they all wanted to know what I thought. All I said was the cinematography is gorgeous and they all erupted into laugher.

1. LOL2. You are fucking adorable.3. You are fucking adorable.
  • Like 1