Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm convinced this takes $100m, has to open to a Friday of at least $36-$37m. Should be no problem. $40m total gets it done.

Plus with 40m it only has to do 29m during the whole day thanks to the 11m preview. 

Plus with 40m it only has to do 29m during the whole day thanks to the 11m preview.

The $37m is probably the absolute bottom but Disney could fudge we all know in the end to get it there. I was looking through August movies and other comparables, common theme is much stronger holds than earlier in the summer. This has all the potential of a massive breakout and sensational holds in the face of weak competition.

I was just looking at the schedule in the weeks ahead and the only movies being released on August 29 and September 5 are...The November Man, As Above So Below, and The Green Inferno. Oy the box office is gonna look depressing.

Yep I think Bourn'e August Record is finally broken this week.

If it gets to a $100m not only that record, but the inflation adjusted "record" as well by Rush Hour 2 $97m. 3D/IMAX not included in that of course, but still good mark for a risky non sequel.

• Like 1

Universal’s second weekend of “Lucy” looked likely to finish second with about $19 million, declining 57% from its surprisingly strong opening. Friday estimates placed the Scarlett Johannson actioner at $5.6 million.

“Lucy” should finish the weekend with a domestic cume above $80 million.

$100 million is gonna happen. 
  • Like 1

Possible, TF4 made 41m with less midnight numbers.

GOTG seems like a walk up focused movie as well, and it also seems more backloaded like most marvel movies have tended to be. After all the panic of no 300m movies (or even 250m) this summer it looks like we have our winner.
  • Like 1