Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Disney's $94 million est seems like the lowest end, it would have to have about a 26% drop.Thinking more actual a be on the $95.5 at least.

Saturday came in at 31m, they are predicting a 18.7% drop for Sunday

Wow, $94 mil for GOTG.  Has any other major movie completely blown by OW tracking/projections like this recently?  Very impressive.

I've seen it twice and will probably go a few more times.  It's just a really fun time at the movies.

• Like 3

Funny when some people say Guardians wouldn't even make it past 100. Well it's going to do that in 4 days.

You're talking as if it was a guaranteed hit lol. It could've bomed completely, something like this is impossible to predict months in advance, compelte wildcard

• Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy out opened Spider-Man.

Step back and think about that for a moment.

Spider-Man is right now the less popular super-hero in America (at least until the FF reboot and Ant-Man. those 2 won't touch 200M). That is very funny. Sony buried the franchise really badly. 

Unlikely. Its run in China is over. DOM isn't going to see much more than another $5m and most other territories are similarly late in their run.

It only has Spain, Japan, and Venezuela to open in. While Japan was quite good for Dark of the Moon ($54m), TF4 is probably going to come in under that mark. Spain earned about $11m, and Venezuela between $2 and $3m. (Though for all of them, exchange rates may have varied significantly since 2011.) So even if it matched TF3's grosses for those three countries, that's still less than $70m. The remaining 25m or so would need to come from elsewhere in the world.

Well, it was at 983M before the weekend so it made around 22M. I think it could do another 25M from from overseas + domestic. 

Edited by James
  • Like 1

That's actually very sad. But at least Guardians is a very good movie, if Spidey was better it probably would have done much better :).

Edited by Sky™
  • Like 4

To give some credit to Spidey himself, it has nothing to do with his popularity as any movies from his ORIGINAL trilogy would have no trouble opening to 100m+. It's the reboot that weaken the franchise.

• Like 1

Lists and placings like that on the IMDB are really :lol: :lol: :lol: . IMDB though is ruled by fanboys and people who only watch and rate new movies so it's expected.

IMdb is like the hub for troll activity, and I can't believe that when BOM shut down their comments, that they recommended members to go to IMDb! I'm so glad this place is here now, because I can literally hear the crickets chirp over in the box office section at IMDb.

That opening for Guardians is nuuutttttss. Originally I was thinking $60M would be great for this, but $94M? Holy hell.Disappointingly muted start for Get on Up given the good reviews, legacy of James Brown, and the limited amount of titles aimed directly at adults this summer. Victim of timing, I guess. Legs should still be good, though.Lucy's drop is expected but it's still a huge success. Hercules got slaughtered, though. Wish Apes was holding better.Solid expansion for A Most Wanted Man, while Boyhood is still kicking ass. Still kind of tepid for Magic in the Moonlight, guess it's back to sub-$15M grosses for Woody.

• Like 2

To give some credit to Spidey himself, it has nothing to do with his popularity as any movies from his ORIGINAL trilogy would have no trouble opening to 100m+. It's the reboot that weaken the franchise.

Spider-Man 3 would have probably touched $200 million OW with 3D, IMAX and 7 years of inflation.

All of the original trilogy films really were the event film of each of their respective years. The reboot is what's ruined the franchise. 

• Like 1