Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Wow, $94 mil for GOTG. Has any other major movie completely blown by OW tracking/projections like this recently? Very impressive.I've seen it twice and will probably go a few more times. It's just a really fun time at the movies.

Godzilla and possibly Lego Movie. Edited by Clavius

Spider-Man is right now the less popular super-hero in America (at least until the FF reboot and Ant-Man. those 2 won't touch 200M). That is very funny. Sony buried the franchise really badly. 

And that opening was before people knew that they were going to see the worst tentpole CBM since Batman & Robin!

• Like 1

Who would really want to see turtle in IMAX?

If they showed the upcoming Leo one shot from the Nick toon in IMAX, I would go. But I'm still on the fence of this new live action movie. I still hate the fucking faces, and they got Mikey on there so creepy. Last trailer I saw, he was exclaiming how April make's his shell tighten, and then we even see him touching her boob. Really?

Spider-Man is right now the less popular super-hero in America (at least until the FF reboot and Ant-Man. those 2 won't touch 200M). That is very funny. Sony buried the franchise really badly. 

IDK I think it could surprise people just like Guardians has it is still a Marvel Movie.

• Like 4

IDK I think it could surprise people just like Guardians has it is still a Marvel Movie.

Yeah at this point id bet Ant-Man hits 200m especially since it's getting trailers with all of the AoU trailers.
  • Like 3

Not the biggest Guardians fan but I'm happy to see a movie like this rake in that kind of dough. This was more anticipated than Spidey 2 and DOFP which is just nutballs considering the histories attached to these franchises.I think this is a necessary victory for Marvel. Guarentees that their future through Avengers 3 and their expansion into cosmic Marvel lore will be widely anticipated, even after RDJ is gone.

And now, they got their charismatic actor in check to replace RDJ, with Chris Pratt. He's getting quite the praise, and everyone is now frothing at the mouth when Tony and Quill finally meet. (I wonder if Tony is going to sleep with Gamora and fuck everything up with Pepper!) :ph34r:

• Like 2

With such a conservative Sunday projection, I'm guessing the actual will be more like $96m.

No.  They are projecting an 18% drop.  At this time of year that is way too optimistic.  Should drop more than 20%.

• Like 3

Everyone forgets Godzilla shocker earlier in the summer in comparison to Spidey, GOTG is about the same maybe even more expected considering Marvel, how weak the season has been.

GOTG takes it IMO because how irrelevant the brand was compared to Zilla

• Like 2

Great worldwide opening for GOTG.What's the budget again? $174m?

I have a source...a very reliable one, who says that the budget is way higher.  Closer to 250 mill.

It doesn't matter how much this makes now, the point of this film was not to make a profit, although it obviously will, but to set up future films and future revenue streams.  Mission accomplished.

• Like 1

No.  They are projecting an 18% drop.  At this time of year that is way too optimistic.  Should drop more than 20%.

Yeah, the problem is that Sat number, not the Sun one. It still increased, just not as much as our resident Thunder god indicated it would.

• Like 2

And now, they got their charismatic actor in check to replace RDJ, with Chris Pratt. He's getting quite the praise, and everyone is now frothing at the mouth when Tony and Quill finally meet. (I wonder if Tony is going to sleep with Gamora and fuck everything up with Pepper!) :ph34r:

I think Rocket, Groot and Drax actually got more praise than Pratt. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Nah. Green Lantern was much worse.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that, but ASM2 was actively horrible & a total mess from beginning to end (maybe the opening robbery scene and one or two Peter/Gwen moments excepted). 

• Like 1

Great number for gotg :wiggle: I knew this movie would breakout :shades: Some predicted low 65m and laughed at everyone who said i would do much more :D

Why is it people like you show up to tell everyone how wrong they were AFTER the film does well.  In all of your 125 posts, is there one from November or December of last year that said you know GOTG will do more than 65 mill OW?

• Like 3