Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

No, because the premise and core of the movie is a murder thriller and there is no science involved in the concept beyond the mere setting. Very different from the premise and core driving force of Gravity. Seriously, it's not a hard concept to grasp if you stop looking at things in some monolithic, rigid way.

I got news for you, science doesn't bear some core premise in Gravity at all. The plot doesn't revolve about science nor be speculative about this said science, science doesn't play any major role at all as a major reflect on the human condition like most scifi works imply. (I really don't think that "Repairing Hubble telescope" is the driving key of the movie or that Cuaron delves into philosophical meanderings about Hubble telescope for hence). The premise is a survival thriller that happens to be set in a space shuttle just like my pitch about a psycho astronaut set in ISS. Gravity is more of a ginormous closed door thriller ironically set in the void of orbital space than scifi. It's 127 hours in space.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

From Wikipedia:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, extraterrestrial life, and paranormal abilities.

Gravity is sci-fi.

That last trailer is just ridiculously good:  it feels oppressive, claustrophobic, and terrifying.

It really does. It grips my heart everytime. I'm so looking forward to seeing this. A few weeks ago I didn't really even know much about this, but now after seeing these trailers and hearing the reviews, I'm so excited to see it.

How do you know Gravity's content is scifi even if there's nothing futuristic or any signs that science plays some major role in the plot, it's just an actual space shuttle on orbit, shit happens and the female astronaut spends 90 minutes drifting into space trying to survive.

So a movie about getting a dog on orbit is scifi now just because it features space? Because that has been done by russians in the fifties. How is that science fiction?

How do you know Gravity's content is scifi even if there's nothing futuristic or any signs that science plays some major role in the plot, it's just an actual space shuttle on orbit, shit happens and the female astronaut spends 90 minutes drifting into space trying to survive.

So a movie about getting a dog on orbit is scifi now just because it features space? Because that has been done by russians in the fifties. How is that science fiction?

Sci-fi =/= futuristic.

Edited by Neo

Sci-fi =/= futuristic.

(You didn't even answer my exemple and didn't see the "science plays some major role in the plot" part.)

Imagine Gravity was actually about Clooney and Bullock falling in love with each other and then breaking up. So is it scifi or a romcom?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1