Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

It should get nominations in all the tech categories + best director, best picture, and best actress. It's very visceral and intense, and (for me) surprisingly emotional in the third act -- despite the fact that the character arcs are not surprising. My one quibble is that occasionally the dialogue is a little on the nose. A must-see in 3D as well. And IMAX too.

• Like 4

It should get nominations in all the tech categories + best director, best picture, and best actress. It's very visceral and intense, and (for me) surprisingly emotional in the third act -- despite the fact that the character arcs are not surprising. My one quibble is that occasionally the dialogue is a little on the nose.A must-see in 3D as well. And IMAX too.

I can't wait to see it. I hope it doesn't just get nominations, but wins them. :D

It should get nominations in all the tech categories + best director, best picture, and best actress. It's very visceral and intense, and (for me) surprisingly emotional in the third act -- despite the fact that the character arcs are not surprising. My one quibble is that occasionally the dialogue is a little on the nose. A must-see in 3D as well. And IMAX too.

So Sandra Bullock delivered big time? You think she has a chance at winning?

I can't wait to see it. I hope it doesn't just get nominations, but wins them. :D

Like PI, I think it has to be considered the front runner in the tech categories. Cinematography/VFX (almost the same category in this case), sound design, editing -- all superlative. It won't win BP or BD though, because it's not "important" enough.

So Sandra Bullock delivered big time? You think she has a chance at winning?

I'd be surprised if she wins... for the most part it's a subdued performance and her character arc is not some amazing gigantic thing (like presumably some of the other potential winners). If the Academy doesn't feel like voting Streep again, I suppose she has a shot though.
  • Like 2

Now the question is-are audiences a bit spaced out on these films this year? :P(Of course at least it is not another post apocalyptic film which people seem to be a bit tired of at the moment)

It's always hard to tell how these things will open, but it's a real crowd pleaser. It'll have good legs. It also feels completely different than any other sci-fi movie this year (or indeed in recent years). Imagine a more kinetic and adrenaline-filled APOLLO 13 that dispenses with the earth-based stuff.

I saw that Ed Harris does a voice in it.For now I'm predicting 30/110

Yup! It's a real pleasure hearing his voice and he fits right in, given his other NASA movies. Figure a 4x off whatever OW you want to give it. It's getting a lot of hype and buzz, so hopefully that translates to a solid opening.

Btw, this is the first movie since 2001 (I think) to correctly show no sound in space. In fact, it's used to great dramatic effect repeatedly.edit: and, I guess, APOLLO 13 -- I can't remember how many exterior shots they had in that movie.

Edited by Telemachos