Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

The diversity angle has been the hook for this since the beginning. It probably is their best move to push it since I haven't been all that impressed with everything else.

Is that the only reason you're so defensive about this movie, @MovieMan89 ? Because I can definitely sympathize with wanting this to succeed because of what it would mean for the industry in the #visiblewomen era.  But I'm just failing to see anything distinguishing it much from the usual boilerplate Disney spectacle. Duvernay would hardly be the first talented filmmaker to misfire on a big budget adaptation of a classic literary work.

I think the diversity thing is a cool aspect if it, but I'm just defensive about it because it's commonplace for a lot of non-franchise family aimed films to get severely underestimated here and I think this is appealing to its target demo from the marketing. I also think there is a lot going for it to do well that most here aren't acknowledging such as a talented writer and director, Disney having a pretty flawless track record this decade with these family fantasy live action films, Oprah being hugely popular right now, and yeah a possibility for it to maybe piggyback off of some of  Black Panther's success in terms of representation in movies. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ban1o said:

I love Ava but this just doesn't look good to me. I hope this surprises. I also don't see the black community rallying around this like they did to black panther so I don't understand the push in marketing of the diversity/black lead seems to be in vain. 

It doesn't have to be BP level breakout. Hidden Figures level seems doable though. The same kid who raised money for a 1000 little girls to watch HF last year did the same for this movie.

And AWiT releasing in the afterglow of BP can only be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Via DHD

The pic is currently tracking for an opening around a $35M four weeks out from release, but those estimates could increase.

Tomorrowland  

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
May 22–24 1 $33,028,165 - 3,972 - $8,315 $33,028,165 1

As I've said

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KeepItU25071906 said:
Tomorrowland  

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
May 22–24 1 $33,028,165 - 3,972 - $8,315 $33,028,165 1

As I've said

Four weeks til release, the trailer it's attached to BP, still have the big marketing push and reviews [assuming is good] to come

This could easily up to $ 50M

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Four weeks til release, the trailer it's attached to BP, still have the big marketing push and reviews [assuming is good] to come

This could easily up to $ 50M

Tomorrowland's trailer was also attached to Age of Ultron (and fully attached too; WIT wasn't a requirement for BP)

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Via DHD

The pic is currently tracking for an opening around a $35M four weeks out from release, but those estimates could increase.

So about what I expected. Still think this should at least cross $100M, especially with how barren the family slate is (hell, the whole slate arguably feels barren until late April)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomorrowland's trailer was also attached to Age of Ultron (and fully attached too; WIT wasn't a requirement for BP)

I'll give you that, but the last push in marketing +  good reviews still could raise up the tracking

Plus, March is basically dead this year, Tomb Raider / Pacific Rim will bomb and Ready Player One it seems to be another failure

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You know it's going to get a pass from the critics because it is directed by Ava....even if the movie is mediocre. We live in a PC culture. She is a strong black woman director and she is directing a big tentpole film with many African american actors in it...they will be easy on her. 

Yikes dude

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yikes dude

It's true though...nothing wrong in it tbh. Giving a pass sometimes to a young filmmaker and that too a woman is a good thing..it gives them more encouragement to do better and opens up opportunities.

THis movie looks boring and just like other big budget misfires like JohnCarter, Tomorrowland etc. but if it gets good reviews and does decently then I will be happy for Ava because she is talented and deserves bigger and better things.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You know it's going to get a pass from the critics because it is directed by Ava....even if the movie is mediocre. We live in a PC culture. She is a strong black woman director and she is directing a big tentpole film with many African american actors in it...they will be easy on her. 

Sad but true. It will benefit from the black-wave created by BP i think.

I don't know if the movie is gonna be good or bad. Trailers so far seem highly meh to me. Let's see what happens in march. I see a Tomorrowland 2 in here.

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Sad but true. It will benefit from the black-wave created by BP i think.

I don't know if the movie is gonna be good or bad. Trailers so far seem highly meh to me. Let's see what happens in march. I see a Tomorrowland 2 in here.

Nothing sad about it. She is a talented young filmmaker with a strong voice. If she gets a pass for this in the wave of BP, so be it. It opens up more opportunities for her...just hope it doesn't completely tank even after getting solid reviews. Anyone knows the budget on this?

• Like 1