Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

4 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Well, the incoherent trailers were certainly a red flag. While coherent, easy-to-grasp trailers don't necessarily guarantee a good movie, incoherent trailers tend to guarantee a mess of a movie, because if the pros cutting the trailers aren't finding a core narrative, it most likely isn't there.

Plus, the whole affair seems so culturally specific to (North) America that it's hard to see it resonating much with overseas audiences. In fact, cruel as it may sound, for overseas it's hard to envision anything other than major bombage for this movie.

how does it look american? It looks like a (bad) fantasy  film to me. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Well, the incoherent trailers were certainly a red flag. While coherent, easy-to-grasp trailers don't necessarily guarantee a good movie, incoherent trailers tend to guarantee a mess of a movie, because if the pros cutting the trailers aren't finding a core narrative, it most likely isn't there.

Plus, the whole affair seems so culturally specific to (North) America that it's hard to see it resonating much with overseas audiences. In fact, cruel as it may sound, for overseas it's hard to envision anything other than major bombage for this movie.

That's the thing, incoherent trailer with disconnected narrative. 

It has some interesting/intriguing shots and visuals like this

Resultado de imagen de a wrinkle in time trailer images

s06_m.jpg

Imagen relacionada

s26_m.jpg

s24_m.jpg

But then, you get this:

(a red-eyed Sasha Baron Coehn) 

s27_m.jpg

(three drag queens abandoned in the middle of nowhere)

s22_m.jpg

(where's Maria and her guitar?)

Resultado de imagen de a wrinkle in time trailer images

(a flying gigantic lettuce)

l_ab2wdhOROfVDsH9z0iJ6.jpg

(and a cheap halloween drag make-up) 

s18_m.jpg

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Still, it would be bad news for Ava.  I wonder how much she's kicking herself for not accepting Black Panther instead.

Some directors make the jump from mid budget to big budget quite well like Coogler, Jenkins etc and some do stumble and it does look like Ava might have stumbled with Wrinkle. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Some directors make the jump from mid budget to big budget quite well like Coogler, Jenkins etc and some do stumble and it does look like Ava might have stumbled with Wrinkle. 

You know who i'm surprised that he did well in that category? Kong's Jordan Vogt-Roberts considering Kings Of Summer was his only movie prior. 

• Like 1

You guys read way too much into the tea leaves. It might be great, it might not be great. (More likely, some will love and others won't). Trying to predict based off trailers and embargo dates is really dubious and the unfortunate side effect is everybody takes it as gospel, creating a whole false narrative that people feel the movie has to overcome. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

You guys read way too much into the tea leaves. It might be great, it might not be great. (More likely, some will love and others won't). Trying to predict based off trailers and embargo dates is really dubious and the unfortunate side effect is everybody takes it as gospel, creating a whole false narrative that people feel the movie has to overcome. 

You're stanning for this movie (or at least rooting for it), correct?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

World Premiere is tonight so we might get some reactions if folks break the social media embargo.

One other thing.  I haven't actually seen confirmation on just when the social media embargo lifts.  That one twitter account made a vague comment about it being three or so days before release, but I have yet to see independent verification of that.

Regardless, I think it will be very very hard for any sort of social media embargo to actually be enforced tonight IF there actually is one.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

One other thing.  I haven't actually seen confirmation on just when the social media embargo lifts.  That one twitter account made a vague comment about it being three or so days before release, but I have yet to see independent verification of that.

Regardless, I think it will be very very hard for any sort of social media embargo to actually be enforced tonight IF there actually is one.  

They can never enforce fan/audience reactions but studios do have social media embargos on the press.  If they break them they don't get other invites.

• Like 3