Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Nah, the main real reason why AWiT is less cared about is that it's based on a less popular source, didn't have amazing previews, reviews were mixed to bad and it never created a cultural event. But I can see why some audience, regardless of race, would be more interested in a somewhat political movie about an awesome African country and its citizens (where everyone is badass and  men are not emasculated by women unlike Star Wars), rather than another cookie-cutter cereal commercial mixed family and Girl Powah Message. Take it from the oscars. #OscarsSoWhite viewership dipped a little, #metoo #timeisup Girl Powah viewership dipped a lot. People tune out of Women Ra-Ra in much bigger numbers than out of Race Ra-Ra. 

I wasn't asking for r/Reddit-Ra-Ra either. :kitschjob:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nah, the main real reason why AWiT is less cared about is that it's based on a less popular source, didn't have amazing previews, reviews were mixed to bad and it never created a cultural event. But I can see why some audience, regardless of race, would be more interested in a somewhat political movie about an awesome African country and its citizens (where everyone is badass and  men are not emasculated by women unlike Star Wars), rather than another cookie-cutter cereal commercial mixed family and Girl Powah Message. Take it from the oscars. #OscarsSoWhite viewership dipped a little, #metoo #timeisup Girl Powah viewership dipped a lot. People tune out of Women Ra-Ra in much bigger numbers than out of Race Ra-Ra. 

MRA-RA-RA

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

AWiT lead isn't black, she's mixed race and so are the character's parents (white dad, black mom). That's different from all black cast. 

But yes, the point is that not all diversity movies will be BO phenomena. Phenomena are rare for everything. WW2 and BP 2 are not going to be it anymore cause cultural event phase has passed with their first movies. Remember that when both drop because their first movies maxed out. It's natural. 

Of course it just may have to do with the simplest of answers.  They were simply better made movies in the eyes of the GA and critics

• Like 2

My feeling was that AWIT wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good, either.  Just sort of there.  My daughter and mom felt the same way. Daughter loved the book, which they read in school last year, and she was especially disappointed by it, I think.  Too bad.  I was hoping for something really special. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I wasn't asking for r/Reddit-Ra-Ra either. :kitschjob:

I'm just sayin. One Ra Ra is more popular than the other. :D

@Premium George MRA have no reason to complain about BP because male characters are awesome and female characters are awesome and neither makes the other inferior. It's when characters are shit that people start pushing agenda. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, AN9815 said:

Rank Disney Original Bombs: 

1. John Carter (such a mess but enjoyable haha) 

2. Tomorrowland 

3. The Lone Ranger

4. Alice Through the Looking Glass 

Haven't watched WiT yet and I wouldn't consider TGD to be in this list. 

You left out "Mars Needs Moma" which lost at least as much money as a couple of the films on the list....

3 hours ago, DAR said:

Of course it just may have to do with the simplest of answers.  They were simply better made movies in the eyes of the GA and critics

And marketing for BP was much,much,better.

Granted, AWIT was a harder film to market, but still,Disney marketing could have  done a better job. For on thing, don't make it look so, well, New Agey. That was a big turn off to many people.

Over all.Disney has the best marketing division in the industry, but they occasionally blow it.

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, MuffinMan said:

c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.gif

When you resort to stuff like citing a meaningless award to prove that your film was a success, you have already lost the argument.....

Sounds as if they  give that award to some film each week..sort of detreacts from it. I would bet they have given it to some really  crappy films because that film was the only family friendly film to be released that week....

Edited by dudalb

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

When you resort to stuff like citing a meaningless award to prove that your film was a success, you have already lost the argument.....

Sounds as if they  give that award to some film each week..sort of detreacts from it. I would bet they have given it to some really  crappy films because that film was the only family friendly film to be released that week....

It's marketing.  They have to try at least a little.

Some days the marketing is easy.  Other days, less so.  This would fall in the "less so" category.

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Number 1 family film? Oh so they are going that embarrassing route.

Nevermind that technically wouldn't BLACK PANTHER be the #1 family movie in America right now? 

58 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's marketing.  They have to try at least a little.

Some days the marketing is easy.  Other days, less so.  This would fall in the "less so" category.

Of course it's marketing. But it's sort of a last resort marketing..

32 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Any film that makes over 600mil is bringing in families so of course Black Panther is the number one family film.

But it was not aimed directrly at families, the way that AWIT was. That was what the award is all about:Films aimed at the family audience,which BP was not.

I don't care about the politics of this movie. I saw both trailers in theaters and thought it looked awful both times. The CGI and green screen were so bad. I sensed another Into The Woods (you could not pay me to sit through that again) and avoided this and will probably never watch it. The Nutcracker in the fall looks like what this film could have been but that could be another major misfire.

I've been saying for months that it will be another Tomorrowland but worse. But with that, I at least had enough faith in Brad Bird and the concept to check it out opening night and enjoyed it more than most.