Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

FWIW I felt the movie was fairly true to the themes of the book.

*checks out your review*

I think I was harder on it than you were.  Wasn't expecting that. :lol:

Agree with a lot of your points, but part of it just "didn't work" for me, which is why I am sitting around B/B-.  Not a huge difference, mind.  Glad you enjoyed it. RebWGyw.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I was going to see this because, well, I see a lot of movies, but when I heard the director had "de-christianized" it, that turned me off, so ... not going. 

The overall themes of the book are still there. They're just updated for a modern audiences. 

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This weekend's hold basically makes it a 50/50 shot for 100 right now. Rooting for it, hopefully spring break this week helps. 

Being so close to Tomorrowland (that finished at 93.4m) should give us some clue real soon:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Wrinkle-in-Time-A-(2018)/Tomorrowland

Need to gain 3m to match Tomorrowland and after that nearly 7M for 100m.

Wrinkle in time second WE: 16,256,879 (-51% of the first)

Tomorrowland: 14,303,679 (-57% of the first, follow -50% and -51% easily beatable)

If it would continue to do 113% of Tomorrowland going on it would end up at 94.35m

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

The overall themes of the book are still there. They're just updated for a modern audiences. 

If by "updated" you mean replacing Jesus with some "inclusive" secular, universalist themes untied to Christianity, then again ... No Thanks. IMO, Jesus and Christianity are as modern as anything else in the world, and always will be.  I suspect the author of the book felt the same.

Edited by SteveJaros

21 hours ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

:hahaha:

I've got a soft spot in my heart for Purists... and c'mon, we're all purist for some IP or another.

True, I am pretty much a purist for the souce material for Ava's next project..Jack Kirby's/DC Fourth World. She gets that wrong, I will be merciless as Darkseid...

I'm curious as to why it's so difficult for live action kids movies to make money. Animated films, even the worst of them, generally overperform. 

In the 80s and 90s parents took their kids to the live action stuff in droves. Home Alone, Hook, etc

11 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm curious as to why it's so difficult for live action kids movies to make money. Animated films, even the worst of them, generally overperform. 

In the 80s and 90s parents took their kids to the live action stuff in droves. Home Alone, Hook, etc

Hardly anyone makes them anymore and the studios seem embarrassed to even try -- witness the practical extinction of the live-action "PG" rating (let alone the live-action "G"). The audience is likely still there, assuming any attempts are decent quality at all. AWIT is a bit of an exception because it has a reasonably large budget. Live-action family movies at a lower budget would probably have a solid shot at success, but mid-budget movies in general are going away (unfortunately).

edit: one interesting theory I just had: young kids today aren't given a great introduction to them because most parents will just shove them in front of something animated; and the kids who were raised on them are now 30-somethings and 40-somethings who want superhero stuff (if they want anything kid-related at all).

BLACK STALLION adjusts to 138m.

The original LOVE BUG to 331m.

BENJI is 195m.

Edited by Trolltastic Tele
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Animated films, even the worst of them, generally overperform. 

Couple of possible reason

1) How good those are in average could be a reason why, their direct competition are those 200m Disney/Pixar ultra high quality movies and the 100m still good one from the others and those are easier to translate/sell all around the world.

2) Non family movies became family movies, most marvel movies, Potter series, some star wars and so on tend to interest and be watched by 6 year's old and up, also hard to compete with those 200/300m movie for purer family movie.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Both of you sound correct: 

Parents are lazy and use animated content as a default distraction...and/or they show their kids light PG13 stuff like Marvel, Star Wars, DC, Potter instead. They take up the family movie night money so stuff like Tomorrowland and Wrinkle in Time get lost in the blockbuster shuffle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Hardly anyone makes them anymore and the studios seem embarrassed to even try -- witness the practical extinction of the live-action "PG" rating (let alone the live-action "G"). The audience is likely still there, assuming any attempts are decent quality at all. AWIT is a bit of an exception because it has a reasonably large budget. Live-action family movies at a lower budget would probably have a solid shot at success, but mid-budget movies in general are going away (unfortunately).

edit: one interesting theory I just had: young kids today aren't given a great introduction to them because most parents will just shove them in front of something animated; and the kids who were raised on them are now 30-somethings and 40-somethings who want superhero stuff (if they want anything kid-related at all).

BLACK STALLION adjusts to 138m.

The original LOVE BUG to 331m.

BENJI is 195m.

I might argue that "A Wrinkle in Time' is probably closer to what we call a YA novel then a Kids book ,but your point is well taken.

5 hours ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Isn't this a product of the MPAA being more strict about what gets a G or PG rating? I don't see The Secret Of Nimh being rated G if it came out today.

• Like 1

Wonder did pretty well recently. If there's interest in the subject, people will show up. It's usually a matter of someone with connections willing to lead the way and everyone else then follows. I'm sure there will be a few "inspirational child" kind of movies on the docket for the next few years. 

Edited by tribefan695