Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

6 minutes ago, Tower said:

Isn't this a product of the MPAA being more strict about what gets a G or PG rating? I don't see The Secret Of Nimh being rated G if it came out today.

I don’t think they’re more strict when it comes to those categories (perhaps something like NIMH might slide to PG). Doesn’t seem like there are many live-action movies which would normally be PG-13 now but would’ve gotten a PG then. I might be wrong, though — I’m just guessing. 

But in terms of studios’ unwillingness to even make PG live-action movies, consider that in the 1990s Paramount made an adult-oriented political action/thriller that was PG. (Hunt for Red October). No chance they’d do that now — they’d throw more profanity and an F-bomb in there to push it into the “hipper” PG-13.

• Like 1

I mean, let's be honest, about 70% of this forum is part of that "G/PG = uncool" faction. Usually any in-depth discussion of even the big Disney / Pixar films is limited to a few choice members among us. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

After that U.K number this weekend, that would be a smart move.

Well i think it is not. This movie is ofcourse all About representations for minor groups and to Hereby take such a movie away from those groups is , i think, very bad

42 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

Well i think it is not. This movie is ofcourse all About representations for minor groups and to Hereby take such a movie away from those groups is , i think, very bad

I'm a black woman, I get what this film is, what it means. It's groundbreaking but it's also a failure. Disney are not going to waste a ton of money on it at this point. It sucks that it flopped but what are you going to do? There is nothing to be done. Better to move on and let the director move on to hopefully greater success. 

• Like 5

Bloody hell this movie. And yep, this is a mess. Way too infantile for kids 11+, way too confusing and dull for younger kids. The whole thing just seems sporadic, random scene after random scene, characters pop up and disappear. The dialogue feels like something ripped out from an early 2000s/late 90s adventure video game. Way too whimsy for its own good, complete with overlong scenes of actors smiling like the Joker, clearly in reaction to nothing but a green screen. 

The biggest problem I have is with the script. Characters are absurdly douchey to make us feel sympathy for the poor girl but we already do given her circumstance (the principle tells the girl something unforgivable. If it were my child I’d be filing complaints not asking my child to write an apology). None of the children talk or behave like children, and all in all it just feels as if I just watched a children’s film by people that have had absolutely zero interaction with a child. 

4.5/10. Soundtrack was good. It was nice to look at. And it’s mercifully short. Sadly I think I think if the movie streamlined itself a little bit I could see kids today calling it a ‘classic’ in 10 years or so. Sad.

• Like 1

I think studios straying away from PG for live-action has more to do with the fact they have become obssesed in making these huge, expensive blockbusters that must appeal to every demo in order to reduce the risk.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Where do people think that the film is headed for internationally? Will it even do as well as Tomorrowland? That made 119mil.

I think it's getting a China release, but probably won't do great in China, maybe 20M or so. About 70M OS is the high end I think.

Just now, grim22 said:

I think it's getting a China release, but probably won't do great in China, maybe 20M or so. About 70M OS is the high end I think.

Wow. So if it doesn't over perform in China it's numbers are going to look extra terrible. 90-95mil in North America and around 70mil overseas is 160-170mil overall. 

35 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wow. So if it doesn't over perform in China it's numbers are going to look extra terrible. 90-95mil in North America and around 70mil overseas is 160-170mil overall. 

It will gross most of its budget at the DOM box office so that will help it not be too big of a loss for them. Would be much worse if the DOM and OS numbers were switched. 

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It will gross most of its budget at the DOM box office so that will help it not be too big of a loss for them. Would be much worse if the DOM and OS numbers were switched. 

Eh, I see nothing good about these numbers. I do see a lot of spin for whichever reason.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:14 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, not good but then it looks like they're also severely cutting down on the P&A spend O/S which should help their bottom line. 

16 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, not good but then it looks like they're also severely cutting down on the P&A spend O/S which should help their bottom line. 

No sense in throwing more money at a flop.

Even a 100mil is too big of a budget for these sorts of films. These films don't do well enough overseas to support these budgets.