Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, I see nothing good about these numbers. I do see a lot of spin for whichever reason.

Is is kind of amusing to see the spin some people to do to try to prove this film is a success.

Best case scenario is the film breaking even...and that might not happen.

Bottom line:the director made a film that did not work with either audiences or critics. She will get a second chance at a big budget film with "The New Gods" over at DC Studios. Time to admit that WIT was not a success and move on.

9 minutes ago, rockNrollaDIM said:

Omg... the WW gross for this :sarah:

I thought they stopped tracking international all together (comscore does not show it anymore), but mojo still is:

FOREIGN TOTAL - 3/8/18 $6,153,517 21.1% $29,202,802 4/15/18

A less than 3 million 7 days week with 2 new market openning that weekend (Poland, Czech republic).....

FOREIGN TOTAL - 3/8/18 $6,153,517 23.3% $26,369,911 4/8/18

Look like it could finish under 34m intl (maybe not maybe Sweden or some market yet to open will do better), that is somewhat impressive for a 100m domestic box office performance fantasy (well anything outside comedy) in a way considering Fassbender The Snowman did 36m.

Not that surprising because of the domestic book popularity and some of the cast being specially big in the US (an over 50% domestic was always seen has possible), but still impressively low.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Is is kind of amusing to see the spin some people to do to try to prove this film is a success.

Best case scenario is the film breaking even...and that might not happen.

Bottom line:the director made a film that did not work with either audiences or critics. She will get a second chance at a big budget film with "The New Gods" over at DC Studios. Time to admit that WIT was not a success and move on.

Care to name names?  Coz I sure haven't seen it on this board.

A Wrinkle in Time is causing Disney to take a $100m loss.

Quite a few of us saw this bomb coming. The financial reality of its disaster is now much more realized.

“A Wrinkle in Time” hit US theaters on March 9 after heavy marketing promotion by Disney and abundant media appearances by cast members like Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon, and director Ava DuVernay.

The movie bombed. It made $33 million in its opening weekend, compared to $202 million by “Black Panther” and $258 million for “Avengers: Infinity War.” It has grossed just $126.8 million globally to date, according to Box Office Mojo and confirmed by Disney.

Disney did not disclose in its earnings report exactly how much it lost on “A Wrinkle in Time,” but we can arrive at a ballpark figure using the film’s reported budget. The New York Times reported that the movie had a combined production and marketing budget of around $150 million, while Deadline pegged the budget much higher, at $250 million. Studios typically make back around half of the box office gross, which means Disney lost between $86 million and $186 million on “A Wrinkle in Time.” (Yahoo Finance has reached out to Disney for comment on the film’s losses.)

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

It made $33 million in its opening weekend, compared to $202 million by “Black Panther” and $258 million for “Avengers: Infinity War.”

You're telling me it didn't rock the house like the first big budget black superhero movie in about twenty years and a movie that was the culmination of 19 movies before it? Fuck.

It wasn't great, it's still a bomb, and I know those were the only two other movies Disney had released so far this year for comparison, but "Wow, this non-franchise movie didn't open to 100m$+"...c'mon.

1 hour ago, Serpico Jones said:

There’s no way WB sticks with Ava for that New Gods movie. 

LOL, Chris Weitz sunk not just Golden Compass franchise but NLC studio. And he got Twilight Saga: New Moon gig shortly after. Flops happen. Ava hasn't sunk a studio yet. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

A Wrinkle In Time made over 70M less in WW total than Black Panther in DOM OW alone.

Even to some of us that believed that AWIT was looking more like Tomorrowland 2.0 in terms of gross (those two ended up in the 200's range for WW), that still sounds crazy to say.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 hour ago, Serpico Jones said:

There’s no way WB sticks with Ava for that New Gods movie. 

They will cuz female directors is a good look nowadays but I never thought she was right for New Gods but I would love for her to tackle Batgirl.

I still don't understand comparisons to BP. One is a new SH movie from an established mega brand with no flops. The other is an adaptation of a YA book that wasn't exactly a literally phenomenon unlike HP/Twi/THG. So why are they compared again?