Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: GOTG 12, Lucy 2.6, Herc 1.6 (Rth) DBZ 1.07

Depends if it does well on its dollar run. I wonder when that will start.Also, I've heard movies get expansions on Labor Day? Will that be possible for DOFP?

Yes, possible. A lot of movies will have increased theater counts.
  • Like 1

The key word being 'one week ago'. We can't just keep the same expectation regardless of what reality has turned out to be. The movie has already broken out based on the weekend number and Sunday hold. At what point do we adjust our expectation according to the new evidence or we're going to act surprised every time the big number come up as if it's so 'unexpected'.

Nobody predicted TA to open that high but once it flow over everyone's expectation with such out of this world WOM did people surprise it had such spectacular run after that?

Why do people still comment on Godzilla's leg then when in fact the total has surpassed the pre-release prediction? That's because we adjusted our expectation once it opened way bigger than the tracking. 

I didn't dismiss it's success, I only pointed out that it passed the point to play that underdog card. I didn't expect it to be this big but after the weekend I have no doubt about it now.

1-It was underestimated for many months prior to release.   A few days of success is no reason to start pretending it's not exceeding expectations.

2-If a week is too much, it was only yesterday that it's Monday number was being downplayed so it's still exceeding expectations for naysayers.

3-One bad drop and the naysayers will celebrate.   Suddenly it will be "underperforming".   Are they supposed to realign "expectations" instantly as well?

4-I don't recall anyone yawning at Avengers 2nd or 3rd weekends after it blew away the OW record.   We were still allowed to be impressed.

I'm amazed he didn't even factor in GotG as being worthy to predict. 

Agreed....this kind of thing should not be forgotten just because GotG blew away the predictions for OW.

• Like 1

I don't think it's above expectation at all. We've passed that point since Sunday number came out. We all know in comparison to the other blockbusters this movie has widest appeal to GA plus the best WOM and the best critical reception. Why would the movie with everything working on it's favour not making this kind of number? It'd have been more of a surprise if the number had been meh...

I see your point, but I feel like that's like saying because James Cameron directed Avatar, it was expected to gross $760M, and so that number is just meh.

Edited by acetabulum7

It is, that why we should expect this kind of number.

I acted surprised every time I saw Maleficent getting minimal drop week in week out because it didn't make sense to me that a movie I thought wasn't that special would get that kind of GA reception. With GOTG it's the opposite. The movie with this kind of universal appeal should produce this kind of number.

I agree that Maleficent was a big surprise hit, but I still think GOTG takes the cake.

Maleficent to me seems way more universally appealing than GOTG.  With the Snow White backstory, plus Angelina Jolie's star power, I'm not sure there are very many people in the entire Western civilization who doesn't know either of the two.

Edited by acetabulum7