filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

I honestly can't wait until Hollywood gets around to making live-action blockbusters of my favorite cartoons when I was younger. Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long, Kim Possible, Samurai Jack, The Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and Avatar: The Last Airbender would all make sweet tentpoles. 

YES I AM IGNORING THAT ABOMINATION

Generator Rex? Didn't that come out like two years ago?
  • Like 1

I think we need to be honest, Kal; Turtles OW was amazing, but let's not settle on sheer optimism.This could very well drop REALLY hard next weekend.

Well if its made the type of Nostalgic and kid connection Im thinking thats not a likely scenario :D.. Its the OS Im very interested in.

Oh and Mr. Alpha are you in our out at Juggernaut totally obliterating Avengers and SW7 in every way, accept maybe OW.

• Like 1

I honestly can't wait until Hollywood gets around to making live-action blockbusters of my favorite cartoons when I was younger. Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long, Kim Possible, Samurai Jack, The Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and Avatar: The Last Airbender would all make sweet tentpoles.

YES I AM IGNORING THAT ABOMINATION

I'm still waiting for that animated Samurai Jack movie that was meant to finish the series.

• Like 3

I hope one day to give Dragonball Z the movie it deserves, not the insult it received.

Amen, DBZ could be bigger than LOTR if done right.. I dont know how the fug Fox screwed the potential up so bad.. :'( :'(

At least looks like Sony is planning to really really give us a huge Masters of the Universe film. Alot of people coming aboard...

:D

• Like 2

To join the debate, I also think it's very wrong to say that franchise movies automatically suck. Especially this year has been great for movies in general. We had a great, "original" (i.e.not part of a franchise) science.fiction film in EoT, but we also had great franchise fare, i.e. Apes, X-Men, HTTYD 2 and so on. IMO a great movie is a great movie, franchise or not.

EoT was an adaptation. 

• Like 1

Well if its made the type of Nostalgic and kid connection Im thinking thats not a likely scenario :D.. Its the OS Im very interested in.Oh and Mr. Alpha are you in our out at Juggernaut totally obliterating Avengers and SW7 in every way, accept maybe OW.

No, I'm not. The amount of hype for SW7 will be INSANE, and Avengers 2 is the sequel to the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time.Avatar 2 definitely won't replicate the success of Avatar back in 2009-2010.
  • Like 1

Generator Rex?Didn't that come out like two years ago?

Yup. Back in 2010 and it ended in 2012. It was one of the last action shows on Cartoon Network to be made before they real started hating the genre and decided to give the action shows crappy time slots lack of advertising, and then would take them off the air midway through the season, with no explanation to why and then quietly cancel them (cough DC Nation cough).

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

Pokemon and Digimon. I only ask for one of them. Please Hollywood, make it happen. 

You may get your wish as Im sure Hwood is looking at the success of Turtles ,Transformers and the upcoming Heman Project as examples how the old  big franchises can indeed make a thrillling comeback.

Makes you wonder if Super Mario Brothers reboot is coming as well.. LOL

• Like 1

Pokemon and Digimon. I only ask for one of them. Please Hollywood, make it happen.

Digimon would be much easier to do than Pokemon. Pokemon has flawed storytelling, extremely flawed storytelling.
  • Like 2

Get On Up is a mild shocker for me. I honestly thought it had a very strong chance at 100+ going into summer. Or at least do as well as 42. The over 40 audience hasn't really turned up for anything this summer.

Remember  Jersey Boys opening night, when we all got excited because RTH said it broke out huge? 

lol

Yes, franchise movie can be good or even great sometimes. I really just want more of a mix of franchise movies and original movies.

I think you and I share pretty similar views on this, based on what you've said the last few times this topic comes up.

I'm perfectly fine with franchise films and I think having a few are probably great for the industry, but enough is enough and we are definitely in a shortage of original films.

Anyway hail Nolan, everyone go see Interstellar and maybe we'll get some more original films and these debates can end.

• Like 2