CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

13 minutes ago, misafeco said:

but theater loss will be inevitable.

It actually looks like Frozen is keeping essentially of its theaters this weekend, and having a very strong showtime hold as well. If 3 of the new releases flop and Spies start to falter I think it can stay around 50% of F1 for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This might help

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Get your tickets now for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Frozen2?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Frozen2</a> sing-along screenings starting next Friday! Get in the spirit and sing along to “Some Things Never Change” in the new lyric video! 🎶❄️🍂 <a href="https://t.co/KwBXpA7peU">https://t.co/KwBXpA7peU</a> <a href="https://t.co/fEoYPD2DeR">pic.twitter.com/fEoYPD2DeR</a></p>&mdash; Disney&#39;s Frozen 2 (@DisneyFrozen) <a href="https://twitter.com/DisneyFrozen/status/1215679722031419392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Nothing better than Frozen to create powerful family bonds :shades:

We can sing lost in the woods together. Just did with my kid in the car drive home ( and show yourself, all is found, into the unknown, some things never change and the next right thing....)

• Like 2

Two thoughts regarding the Frozen 2 Sing-along:

1. The release date is two weeks earlier than the release of the Frozen Sing-along in 2013, which was January 31st. I guess Disney thinks Frozen 2 needs the boost now, whereas Frozen continued to have great legs and didn't need any help through the month of January.
  2. I'll be really curious to hear how the sing-along for The Next Right Thing goes. Not exactly an upbeat, sing-along type of song!
Edited by OffTheHizzle

15 hours ago, OffTheHizzle said:

Two thoughts regarding the Frozen 2 Sing-along:

1. The release date is two weeks earlier than the release of the Frozen Sing-along in 2013, which was January 31st. I guess Disney thinks Frozen 2 needs the boost now, whereas Frozen continued to have great legs and didn't need any help through the month of January.
  2. I'll be really curious to hear how the sing-along for The Next Right Thing goes. Not exactly an upbeat, sing-along type of song!

Oscars are earlier this year.  Nominations are announced on Monday. so they want a nice box office boost during voting.

• Thanks 1

Again, I think Show Yourself (not Into The unknown) should be advertised more by Disney by uploading more video because it is exactly that kind of song.

On the other hand, I understand why Disney has not done that yet because Show Yourself is a massive spoiler for the movie. But the movie has already been out for 2 months, so I hope Disney will release more video about it. 

I love listen to the multiple language version, especially the oneline version.

This is a low-quality sound video but still

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PKMLover said:

Again, I think Show Yourself (not Into The unknown) should be advertised more by Disney by uploading more video because it is exactly that kind of song.

I agree 100% with you. Into the Unknown is an okay song, but songs that are just okay don't win awards nor do they attract people to the theater.

Disney was kind of in a no win situation with this. I think the only reason they didn't push Show Yourself and release the entire sequence on YouTube is because it's a major spoiler.

Spoiler

But the fact is, Elsa being the 5th spirit really wasn't that surprising. It was nothing like the Hans reveal in Frozen.

• Like 1

2019 animated movies with lots of snow ranked by how much I liked them: 

F2>Klaus>>>>Missing Link   

But by quality (nebulous terms such as it is) probably more like Klaus>F2>>Missing Link

Edited by Arendelle Legion

12 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

A little shocked this was snubbed for best animated film at the Oscars but looking at the reviews I guess I shouldn't be that shocked

Nah you're right, several of those are meh in comparison. It's quite ridiculous. Frozen 2 was better than Toy Story 4 a great film that was completely unnecessary after the perfect finish.

Need to watch Klaus, I hear very good things. My kid was never interested no matter how much popcorn or candy I bribed her with.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 4

Best Animated Feature is a joke of a category, never had any prestige and never will. It's like the Academy saying: "You are not good enough for Best Picture, here is some consolation prize."

Maybe for smaller movies it is an opportunity to get some attention, but for major studios it hardly matters at all.

The worst thing about this category's existence that it's one of the main reasons animation has no chance now in the Best Picture category. I know about Up and Toy Story 3, but it was in a different voting system with 10 guaranteed nominees. If Inside Out didn't get a Best Pic nomination, then you know that something went super wrong.

This snub is probably not bad news for Disney, they can now push Toy Story 4 for the win. It should win against the unremarkable HTTYD3 (I already forgot what that movie was about). The smaller ones will cannibalize eachother. F2 will also be fine in the longer run, it doesn't need more spotlight than what it already gets.

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Nah you're right, several of those are meh in comparison. It's quite ridiculous. Frozen 2 was better than Toy Story 4 a great film that was completely unnecessary after the perfect finish.

Need to watch Klaus, I hear very good things. My kid was never interested no matter how much popcorn or candy I bribed her with.

I have the same feelings about Toy Story 4. It's a very good individual movie, just not a very good Toy Story movie. 3rd one already had the perfect ending, there was no reason from a storytelling point of view to continue.

5 hours ago, OffTheHizzle said:

I agree 100% with you. Into the Unknown is an okay song, but songs that are just okay don't win awards nor do they attract people to the theater.

Disney was kind of in a no win situation with this. I think the only reason they didn't push Show Yourself and release the entire sequence on YouTube is because it's a major spoiler.

Hide contents

But the fact is, Elsa being the 5th spirit really wasn't that surprising. It was nothing like the Hans reveal in Frozen.

About Into the Unknown: I think I appreciate it way more now than at the beginning. For maximum effect I just put on my earphones, start the song and increase the volume to the max while walking on the street. A great feeling. Still prefer a couple of other songs from F2 to it, but without the context of the movie it's still the 2nd best for me after Show Yourself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Really? Hans was blatantly obvious from the get go. I knew from the very first interaction with Anna. My daughter wasn't even surprised

Well, it surprised me, and I remember hearing audible gasps from other members of the audience at his reveal. Then again, I've never been the type of person to watch a movie actively looking for a plot twist.

• Like 2

F2 vs. F1:

F1 F2 % F2 total
Wk1 26,54 202,87 764,4% 202,87
Wk2 76,10 100,06 131,5% 302,92
Wk3 39,57 44,44 112,3% 347,36
Wk4 30,19 26,87 89,0% 374,23
Wk5 47,13 30,56 64,8% 404,79
Wk6 57,59 33,79 58,7% 438,59
Wk7 25,47 15,04 59,0% 453,62
Wk8 18,04 7,51 41,6% 461,13
Wk9 18,15 6,40 35,3% 467,53
Wk10 11,92 3,50 29,4% 471,03
Rest 50,00 11,00 22,0% 482,03

Moana can be a better comparison at this point. Frozen 2's 8th weekend (5.91M) is very close to Moana's 7th weekend (6.38M).

After MLK/8th weekend Moana added another 15M, F2 will be a bit over 465M after next Monday, so 480M can be achieved with an identical run after MLK Monday.

I don't expect a big theater drop this weekend for F2, while Moana was already down to 1847 according to Mojo. It had amazing holds considering the direct competition from Sing and from early February Lego Batman.

28 minutes ago, misafeco said:

F2 vs. F1:

F1 F2 % F2 total
Wk1 26,54 202,87 764,4% 202,87
Wk2 76,10 100,06 131,5% 302,92
Wk3 39,57 44,44 112,3% 347,36
Wk4 30,19 26,87 89,0% 374,23
Wk5 47,13 30,56 64,8% 404,79
Wk6 57,59 33,79 58,7% 438,59
Wk7 25,47 15,04 59,0% 453,62
Wk8 18,04 7,51 41,6% 461,13
Wk9 18,15 6,40 35,3% 467,53
Wk10 11,92 3,50 29,4% 471,03
Rest 50,00 11,00 22,0% 482,03

Moana can be a better comparison at this point. Frozen 2's 8th weekend (5.91M) is very close to Moana's 7th weekend (6.38M).

After MLK/8th weekend Moana added another 15M, F2 will be a bit over 465M after next Monday, so 480M can be achieved with an identical run after MLK Monday.

I don't expect a big theater drop this weekend for F2, while Moana was already down to 1847 according to Mojo. It had amazing holds considering the direct competition from Sing and from early February Lego Batman.

Moana’s post-MLK multiplier was strengthened by the sing-along coming two weeks after. F2 is getting the sing-along on MLK, so it should leg worse from there but I think the 4-day alone will be close to 6.4

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1