CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

Watched it tonight for the 3rd time with the other part of my family. One more and I'll break my record. Yes, going to cinema is an event for me, usually I do not watch anything more than once.

I just love how it handles the topic of growing up through Elsa's actions. It's very easy to relate to her character, even more than in the first movie.

Into The Unknown -> stepping out of your comfort zone

Leaving Anna/Olaf behind -> starting your new life

Crossing the Dark Sea and Show Yourself -> this is my personal favorite. This is where Elsa realizes that her power is not a guarantee for success. You will fall on your face many times in your adult life, but it just makes achieving something even more rewarding. You need to struggle to reach your goals.

I was fired from my first real job after 2 months without a given reason. Guess what, I didn't spend my time crying over it, one day later I already had a new one. I learned a lot from this experience. Giving up is not an option for me anymore, while earlier I was afraid of change to an unhealthy extent.

And I love the bittersweet ending with Elsa finding her new place while still staying in touch with her sister. I wouldn't mind a 3rd Frozen, but for now it's a complete story for me.

My ranking of the 2010s Disney Animation:

1. Frozen (2nd best animated movie of the decade after Inside Out)

2. Frozen II

3. Zootopia

4. Moana

5. Wreck-it Ralph

6. Tangled

7. Ralph Breaks the Internet

8. Big Hero 6

9. Winnie the Pooh

A great decade for WDAS, going out on a high note.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I do think it says something that this thread was like 20 pages ahead of Frozen 1's at release day and it's not even going to come close to how big that thread got overall.

It was less than 150 pages before New Year and went on to 658 total. Considering it was one of the most exciting box office stories of this decade (there are no words for that Japan run), it is understandable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I do think it says something that this thread was like 20 pages ahead of Frozen 1's at release day and it's not even going to come close to how big that thread got overall.

A lot of the discussion was because of how atypical Frozen's run was. It brought in many newcomers to the site (including myself) who specifically wanted to talk about the box office.

F2 is a juggernaut, but it's not really doing anything atypical from other huge blockbusters. Now, if something changes and it starts having insane legs, that's likely to change.

Beyond that, well, it's not like it's going to generate the same fannish interest that F1 did... it's building on that fandom, but it's not creating it.

And beyond, beyond even that... times change. Usually the biggest threads are ones that have some degree of disagreement and controversy. That wasn't true for Frozen, which was an outlier. For F2 to get the same degree of response it would have to be pretty divisive among the fandom, which it isn't. It's a rare sequel that is about the same quality as the first, and while there are quibbles about which is better, it's still mostly positive, except for the few minor trolling responses... which aren't even getting traction.

At the time of Frozen, I was really involved in Tumblr, and was following the fan community that way. Tumblr has mostly died, and I just don't have the same amount of time as I did. There are things I'd be happy to discuss, but they're somewhat spoilery, so it can wait.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

it sure does say something. it says the first was a phenomenon, and not only the movie itself and the movie's box office performance...but how that performance drew so many people together to learn about box office stuff.

it says phenomenons are what they are because we don't get repeat performances of them. 

it also says that despite common sense telling us the sequel was always going to act more like a 'traditional sequel', and not have the insane legs of the first, many people still got up in the pre-release sky's the limit predictions. no, it's not gonna beat Lion King. yes, it is gonna beat the original Frozen. 1.3 billion is wildly successful and while my money is on a Frozen TV animated series next, who knows

• Like 2

Just saw it again. The Show Yourself sequence may be my favorite song sequence in all of Disney. I want a making of documentary to see the effort that went into the animation, especially the ocean scenes. 

The film does go quick on a second viewing, and the rapid turn from Elsa's glory at the end of Show Yourself to Anna's despair during The Next Right Thing does seem a bit jarring on review. But such is the nature of death, and losing a grandfather last year gives Next Right Thing additional pathos.

I do hope to see much more of Elsa's work in the forest and Atohallen, to build off the beautiful last shot of the film. 

*Thor Another! gif*

• Like 4

On 12/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, Jmcconnor said:

it sure does say something. it says the first was a phenomenon, and not only the movie itself and the movie's box office performance...but how that performance drew so many people together to learn about box office stuff.

it says phenomenons are what they are because we don't get repeat performances of them. 

it also says that despite common sense telling us the sequel was always going to act more like a 'traditional sequel', and not have the insane legs of the first, many people still got up in the pre-release sky's the limit predictions. no, it's not gonna beat Lion King. yes, it is gonna beat the original Frozen. 1.3 billion is wildly successful and while my money is on a Frozen TV animated series next, who knows

The thread for the first film attracted an insane number of new visitors to the board, eager to learn about the box office and the impact of the film in auxiliary markets.  And while Disney was already a rising mammoth in 2013, it wasn't obvious to many how well-oiled a machine they could be when capitalizing on a breakout. The development of Frozen in 2013-15 as a global franchise was fascinating to observe from the business side of things.

And of course, for the children who grew up during the Renaissance years, Frozen's runaway success was like reliving the 90s again where Aladdin/Simba/Ariel/Belle dominated merchandise stores, the music charts, award shows and the theme parks. There was something new to discuss almost every day from late 2013 to mid 2014.

To be fair to Frozen 2, it's technically one of the offshoots of the phenomenon. It is still part of the phenomenon despite being a separate film, so obviously there isn't nearly enough to discuss as was with the first film.

That doesn't mean it is NOT a memorable film though. I'd rather discuss the story/thematic elements of the film on other forums more dedicated to those aspects of film and literature than the business/box office side of things here, for which the original movie was a much better fit. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, misafeco said:

F2 now 10M ahead of CF. Needs to make 25% more for the rest of its run (80 vs. 64) to get to 450M.

Dec 13-19 weekly gross:

CF: 19.1M

F2: 24.5M (with a conservative 1.26 Wed) which is 28.3% more. Next 7 days will be crucial.

450 is an absolute lock btw. 475 is possible

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

450 is an absolute lock btw. 475 is possible

I'm conservative for now, don't want to be disappointed with the final gross. Looks like 450M won't be an issue, but it's still a long way to get there.

Time to grow some legs, at the moment it's like this

ea65e0cb20db2f439190bd82416667e4--frozen

compared to Frozen 1

3033680b894059f3e20a6e56c0e1171a.jpg

• Like 5

You know....I would have loved to see a Frozen TV-series about Anna & Elsa in their younger ages (Like the first time we see them in the first movie) that could take place before they grew up. If Disney could make a 20min+ short-film about Olaf...then anything is possible.

Like...how can you not find these girls more cuter as kids?

5dd97f5379d7576f060dc2e5?width=600&forma