Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I just finished watching it and I have to say for the most part I enjoyed. A few things I didn't care for, the missionary and mermaid might have been the dullest on screen couple in quite some time. And despite costing 250 million there were times when it looked a little cheap. And I thought the first 20 minutes were kind of a slog to get through.What did I like? Just about everything else. I thought McShane made a good Blackbeard, though nothing is ever touching Nighy as Davy Jones. I thought Cruz was very good. The film moved at a good pace. And finally as long as Depp and Rush are willing to do more, then I'm willing to watch. The movies are always the best when they are on screen. B+

What I liked:

- Depp and Cruz had some good chemistry.

- Ian Mcshane was pretty fun as Blackbeard even if his character was underdeveloped.

- Geoffrey Rush get's a few good moments.

- The story felt more straight forward this time around. There's still some unnecessary padding and some confusing parts but on a whole it felt at least progressive (as much can't be said for At World's End).

- The mermaid sequence was well done.

What I didn't like:

- It's an obvious visual downgrade from the last two films. Verbinski's visual flair added a lot to those films and here things look a bit bland.

- Claflin was horrible and his mermaid girlfriend equally so. Claflin acted with his jaw half open the entire time and the mermaid chick couldn't get her accent straight. They were boring characters, their horribly developed romance served little purpose to the overall plot and like every time they appeared on screen they sucked out all the fun of the movie. I get the feeling even the filmmakers stopped caring about them about halfway through the film.

- Most of the action scenes are pretty unremarkable.

Overall I enjoyed it more than I expected. The main characters are what's holding the film up despite all the flaws.

6/10

Edited by C00k13

I thought it was the weakest of the sequels. Say what you will about the first two sequels, they demonstrated ambition. Remember people thought pre-release of the first one that it was a cheap cash grab based off the theme park ride? Well it didn't feel that way watching that one, but it felt that way with this one.

I really liked. Way better than the last two. Jack was more like he was in the first film. Barbossa was more like he was in the first film, and the plot was just a nice simple adventure movie plot. A bunch of pirates racing to get to a treasure/artifact. Also, the mermaid scene was brilliant

My favourite of the sequels. I enjoyed this immensely. It felt more like the first one. I enjoyed Cruz in place of Knightly and also seeing Dench was pretty cool.8/10