Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

I don’t understand why we have to assume that only one of these upcoming DC movies can be successful. Then again, I also don’t really understand why people are saying that this movie sounds more unique than Aquaman. I’m not saying this movie won’t do better than AM, but it honestly doesn’t sound any different from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Like I said earlier, they should’ve made Billy a pre-teen so that this movie would be able to stand out more. There’s nothing unique about a teen superhero. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand why we have to assume that only one of these upcoming DC movies can be successful. Then again, I also don’t really understand why people are saying that this movie sounds more unique than Aquaman. I’m not saying this movie won’t do better than AM, but it honestly doesn’t sound any different from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Like I said earlier, they should’ve made Billy a pre-teen so that this movie would be able to stand out more. There’s nothing unique about a teen superhero. 

I also think that "uniqueness" is an incredibly overrated concept when it comes to box office success.

I mean...look at the top ten grossing films of all time. How are they unique? It's not like most of them are not sequels, mega-franchise superhero spectacles, book adaptations, or fantasy films based on well worn templates.

At the end of the day, it's more about compelling characters and stories (I know, shocking :D ) than about how original or unique plots are.

17 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand why we have to assume that only one of these upcoming DC movies can be successful. Then again, I also don’t really understand why people are saying that this movie sounds more unique than Aquaman. I’m not saying this movie won’t do better than AM,

And TBF there's a chance this does better than Aquaman because of Aquaman if the latter is well received. Aquaman has to directly follow JL, and Aquaman and Mera aren't incredibly popular characters like Squad's Harley Quinn/Joker and of course, Wonder Woman, to remain unaffected by previous DC misfires/missteps. Though hopefully if AQM is solid then the release period allows for a leggy run.

...but it honestly doesn’t sound any different from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Like I said earlier, they should’ve made Billy a pre-teen so that this movie would be able to stand out more. There’s nothing unique about a teen superhero. 

I think this is where the other kids/superheroes of the Shazam Family will come in handy. They are younger than Billy and of different ethnicities, and we haven't had a superhero film revolving around a whole bunch of kids. If they market it around all the kids instead of just Billy/Shazam, it will seem unique enough.

4 minutes ago, Ruthie said:

I really think Shazam could be the movie to turn things around for the DCEU.  It shouts "family film" and, if done right, could be something kids and parents will connect with and enjoy. 

I’m really hoping Aquaman is a success first. 

• Like 2

That Sandberg BVS tweet is genius. As is the fan poster. I hope they actually use the tagline "Superman was busy" :rofl:

WB/Sandberg know the material they are working with and just having a ball. This has a shit ton of potential. It always had, but it looks like it might live up to it. And we haven't even seen a frame of the film yet.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That Sandberg BVS tweet is genius. As is the fan poster. I hope they actually use the tagline "Superman was busy" :rofl:

WB/Sandberg know the material they are working with and just having a ball. This has a shit ton of potential. It always had, but it looks like it might live up to it. And we haven't even seen a frame of the film yet.

Maybe Shazam would've been the perfect opportunity for WB/DC to have their Deadpool type character breaking the 4th wall and parodying situations from comic book movies. That scene from BvS could actually work in that scenario, have Shazam show up on the scene and then points to the giant S symbol drawn on the roof and him saying "Yeah sorry that other guy was busy you've got me now" or something to that effect. 

• Astonished 1

52 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Maybe Shazam would've been the perfect opportunity for WB/DC to have their Deadpool type character breaking the 4th wall and parodying situations from comic book movies. That scene from BvS could actually work in that scenario, have Shazam show up on the scene and then points to the giant S symbol drawn on the roof and him saying "Yeah sorry that other guy was busy you've got me now" or something to that effect. 

Harley Quinn is more DC’s Deadpool. For the record, I think Harley Quinn is a terrible character, whether we’re talking about the movies, the comics, or the animated series, but she’s probably the closest thing DC has to their own Deadpool at this point. 

8 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Did we ever get the full body shot of him sipping on that juice? There seems to be one in that collage there but its tiny. 

I don’t think the poster was his full body shot, just one side with him and one with Aquaman. I could be wrong though.