Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

I’m a little concerned about the fact that this movie will apparently feature the entire Shazam family. That seems a tad excessive for an origin film. 

Edit: Just to be clear, I don’t think this movie will be bad. I’m just curious about how they’re going to pull off bringing in all these characters in what’s supposed to be an origin story for Billy Batson. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Thanks 1

Would be so epic if this became the DCEU's second unqualified smash (after Wonder Woman); maybe DC WB needs to focus on pure-hearted superheroes with ties to Greco-Roman pantheons...

So I guess next in line would be the Global Guardians' Olympian... 

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Would be so epic if this became the DCEU's second unqualified smash (after Wonder Woman); maybe DC WB needs to focus on pure-hearted superheroes with ties to Greco-Roman pantheons...

You don't want Aquaman to be an unqualified smash? :thinking::P 

Btw Aquaman is derived from Poseidon/Neptune, so that too maintains the Greco-Roman pantheon theme.

I can see this clicking better than Aquaman because Aquaman didn't exactly win everyone over with Justice League and the more lighthearted, comedic approach will be seen as a refreshing change of pace (the same way Infinity War's darker tone was seen as such for the MCU). The concept is also pretty unique and hasn't really been done in a superhero movie before, while Aquaman might just end up feeling similar to the Thor/Black Panther movies. (obligatory "if it's good of course" comment)

Edited by Mekanos

12 hours ago, StevenG said:

Aquaman:???

If Shazam and Aquaman both doing well,Wonder Woman2 is coming next year too.There will be three DC films in a row doing great.I Hope So.After BvS-SS-JL,DC need refresh.

Edited by bangbingchan

9 hours ago, Mekanos said:

I can see this clicking better than Aquaman because Aquaman didn't exactly win everyone over with Justice League and the more lighthearted, comedic approach will be seen as a refreshing change of pace (the same way Infinity War's darker tone was seen as such for the MCU). The concept is also pretty unique and hasn't really been done in a superhero movie before, while Aquaman might just end up feeling similar to the Thor/Black Panther movies. (obligatory "if it's good of course" comment)

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like Aquaman is the more interesting concept for a live action film. We’ve already had superhero movies starring teens before. The whole teenage superhero concept has frankly been done to death, and I’m pretty damn sick of it. I think they would’ve been better off making Billy a pre-teen or something. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like Aquaman is the more interesting concept for a live action film. We’ve already had superhero movies starring teens before. The whole teenage superhero concept has frankly been done to death, and I’m pretty damn sick of it. I think they would’ve been better off making Billy a pre-teen or something.

We've already had superhero as a king of a nation before too with Thor and Black Panther.

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

We've already had superhero as a king of a nation before too with Thor and Black Panther.

Yea but this time with Aquaman its a reverse Thor and BP since the outsider (Aquaman) is the one who is good and deserving of the throne and not the one already on the inside likely on the throne (Ocean Master).

In Thor and BP it was the outsiders that were the bad ones (Loki and Kilmonger) and the insiders the good ones (Thor and BP)

Edited by DMan7
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But Aquaman at least has the potential to have some really cool visual effects that are unlike anything from a Marvel movie. I mean, how many other live action movies have involved underwater cities with armored sharks and seahorses? 

Shazam, by comparison, doesn’t seem to have any unique hook to set it apart from all the other teen superhero movies out there. I’m not saying it’ll flop, or that it doesn’t have the potential to do better than Aquaman, but I just don’t see what makes it more unique than the former. 

Edited by WittyUsername