Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

12 minutes ago, StevenG said:

I never said that 200 million would not be fantastic.

I just feel that the premise has lots of potential to capture audiences beyond the typical CBM crowd. No, I don't think it will make BP money...but I could see a scenario in which it makes Wonder Woman money.

I mean sure there's a scenario in which this makes $50m too? It just doesn't seem likely lol

$115M/$340M

One of the biggest breakouts Of 2019 imo. This angle will help this imo may even be more kid friendly than the Spider-Man franchise. This also will probably be the DCEU’s second highest grossing movie domestically until WW2 comes and I have Aquaman around Strange numbers. Only real concern for this is the slew of kid friendly movies during the spring (Dragon 3, Wonder Park, and Dumbo) along with Captain Marvel (which could take away some hype and I have that at about the same.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I agree about having the potential to do really well (not sure about highest grossing DCEU film, yet). I'll add that if the film is good enough, it could really appeal to kids in particular, especially with the concept of a child becoming a superhero, which is what made the character of Captain Marvel / Shazam popular in the first place. 

I agree, Big proved that a child in an adult's body can be a great concept and Shazam! is the next step because what kid doesn't want to be a superhero? I hope while it has its funny moment, there is some moments where Billy's recklessness gets him into trouble or has consequences, we saw that briefly in Spider-Man Homecoming but I think it could have an bigger impact here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, Big proved that a child in an adult's body can be a great concept and Shazam! is the next step because what kid doesn't want to be a superhero? I hope while it has its funny moment, there is some moments where Billy's recklessness gets him into trouble or has consequences, we saw that briefly in Spider-Man Homecoming but I think it could have an bigger impact here.

A great way to do that is to play up Billy's naiveness since he's around ten years old, like have Sivana trick him, which causes someone, perhaps Freddie to get hurt. He may be in a grown-adult's body, but he's still a kid after all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

A great way to do that is to play up Billy's naiveness since he's around ten years old, like have Sivana trick him, which causes someone, perhaps Freddie to get hurt. He may be in a grown-adult's body, but he's still a kid after all. 

Having Freddy endangered or hurt by Billy's naivety would actually be a good idea as it would hit Billy hardest that if you're not careful then people get hurt

• Like 3

I hope it's more like Ant-Man then Green Hornet. 

Has comedy but has its share of legit semi-dramatic moments. Where we can see the character as possibly interacting with the larger DCU characters. 

Green Hornet was/is a property with lots of potential but Seth Rogan as the lead helped it miss the mark.

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It would be ironic if Shazam manages to overshadow Aquaman.

I think everybody already knows what kind of movie they will be getting with Aquaman, buff dude fighting CGI waves.

Shazam is still a wild card.

It wouldn't be surprising really. This has miles more potential than AQM for the GA to give it a chance based on the concepts and its distance from anything JL related. 

• Like 1

Since this is shaping up to be more like a buddy comedy meets BIG(tom hanks) is there any chance they refer/make reference to his rightful moniker of Captain Marvel?

Literally since Marvel's Captain Marvel(who stole the copyright from DC) will still be in theaters. 

17 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Are they legally allowed to?

Yes? Why wouldn't they? I believe they only had to change the name of their comic because Marvel copyright'd the title of their comic. But they can call the CHARACTER Captain Marvel. Just not the movie title/comic book.

• Like 1

I think from WB's POV, they don't want confusion plus it's easier to have one name for promotion and merchandise purposes. 

I know DC allowed Pixar to use the Elasti-Girl name but it couldn't be used in merchandise, it's likely the same for Shazam.