Jump to content

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Shazam | April 5, 2019 | Zachary Levi cast as Shazam. David F Sandberg directing | Social media reactions coming in

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, LexJoker said:

Release date in hindsight looks awful right now, sandwiched between CM and EG.

 

That's definitely bad..Competition from Captain Marvel on Day 1 and then by Endgame 3 weeks later.

 

But apart from January/February, was there a good release date for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

That's definitely bad..Competition from Captain Marvel on Day 1 and then by Endgame 3 weeks later.

 

But apart from January/February, was there a good release date for it?

 

July 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

 

July 16.

 

Between Spider-Man Far From Home and The Lion King??

 

tumblr_ogd88smRzf1tydz8to1_400.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquaman had an awful release date too according to everyone on here. I'm going to actually wait and see what the film does this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

That's definitely bad..Competition from Captain Marvel on Day 1 and then by Endgame 3 weeks later.

 

But apart from January/February, was there a good release date for it?

It’s not in a bad place persay, if anything it could’ve come out 2 weeks earlier.

 

Shazam shouldn’t be scared of Captain Marvel. If the horrible and divisive film Justice League managed to pull in $640M coming out 2 weeks after Thor: Ragnarok, then this film wouldn’t have had any problems. I’m more concerned of it’s late legs getting cut off by Endgame than releasing farther from Captain Marvel, as if that film is going to be as big as many say it will be. (I still yet to see any awareness, compared to Black Panther or Infinity War or even Endgame)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Between Spider-Man Far From Home and The Lion King??

 

tumblr_ogd88smRzf1tydz8to1_400.gif

 

 

Would only have to worry about one of those movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain Marvel will be making under 20m on the weekend this is released and if WOM is strong enough it'll withstand Endgame. Last year A Quiet Place was able to have a sub-50% hold against IW, I suspect because the WOM made it the second choice for moviegoers who came to see IW only to find it sold out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Captain Marvel will be making under 20m on the weekend this is released and if WOM is strong enough it'll withstand Endgame. Last year A Quiet Place was able to have a sub-50% hold against IW, I suspect because the WOM made it the second choice for moviegoers who came to see IW only to find it sold out. 

Besides if Pikachu is big as expected, it should allow some nice double features to help it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What worries me here are the peasant moviegoers like me that like superhero movies but have only so much money to go around. I can do CM and Endgame, but I'm not sure if Shazam makes the cut...

 

I really want to see it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Aquaman had an awful release date too according to everyone on here. I'm going to actually wait and see what the film does this time. 

Me saying the release date is bad doesn't mean I think it's NOT gonna do well BO-wise, it can do very well despite this...the question is, what will be the impact of that release date?

 

And it's not Justice League anyway, $650/700m for an OG movie would be a good start (look at Wonder Woman).

 

13 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

It’s not in a bad place persay, if anything it could’ve come out 2 weeks earlier.

 

Shazam shouldn’t be scared of Captain Marvel. If the horrible and divisive film Justice League managed to pull in $640M coming out 2 weeks after Thor: Ragnarok, then this film wouldn’t have had any problems. I’m more concerned of it’s late legs getting cut off by Endgame than releasing farther from Captain Marvel, as if that film is going to be as big as many say it will be. (I still yet to see any awareness, compared to Black Panther or Infinity War or even Endgame)

 

That's fair for the post-CM release, it's not a big problem (but still competition with Endgame approaching) so that wouldn't prevent it from doing very well.

 

As for CM's hype, that's something you shouldn't underestimate with Marvel, when movies like Doctor Strange can do well there's little risk, and some people said the same about Black Panther but that was a feeling they had not the reality. For now I feel there's more interest thanks to Avengers than the movie itself but if reviews are good it'll be fine.

Edited by Fullbuster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

What worries me here are the peasant moviegoers like me that like superhero movies but have only so much money to go around. I can do CM and Endgame, but I'm not sure if Shazam makes the cut...

 

I really want to see it though.

Buy a ticket to Shazam and I’ll give you a front row experience of End Game through Periscope 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a $80M-$90M budgeted movie, if it performs like Lego Batman per se it’s still hugely profitable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't think WB has too high expectations considering the way they've both budgeted and marketed the film so far. We can expect under Walter Hamada that some DCEU films will be on the lower side of a typical blockbuster budget and therefore not will internally be expected to make as much as a Wonder Woman or Aquaman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’s a $80M-$90M budgeted movie, if it performs like Lego Batman per se it’s still hugely profitable 

It's amazing it cost under $100m, I thought it would nearer to what San Andreas or Rampage cost,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

 

Would only have to worry about one of those movies.

 

Domestic? Yes.

Worldwide? Not that much because in many countries (such as Brazil where it's common practice) it leads to fewer screens available for those movies and, as a result, decreasing their potential.

 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

What worries me here are the peasant moviegoers like me that like superhero movies but have only so much money to go around. I can do CM and Endgame, but I'm not sure if Shazam makes the cut...

 

I really want to see it though.

 

Yep, not that I don't have the money personally but 3 superheroes movies in a row would be a bit too much, I like to change genres so I could watch CM/EG and then wait for Detective Pikachu / Toy Story 4. I'm not even sure to watch Spider-Man with The Lion King coming..

Edited by Fullbuster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No live action DCU film has made under 650mil. Maybe Shazam will be the film that lands under that mark but based on history alone, that will be my prediction. I would take people's comments more seriously if they hadn't said the exact same things about Wonder Woman and Aquaman. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frontloaded tentpoles. 

AM by week 3 was ~60m shy of its final dom.

WW by week 3 was ~100m.

JL by week 3 was ~27m.

SS by week 3 was ~55m.

BvS by week 3 was ~27m.

MoS by week 3 was ~30m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Domestic? Yes.

Worldwide? Not that much because in many countries (such as Brazil where it's common practice) it leads to fewer screens available for those movies and, as a result, decreasing their potential.

 

WW it can stagger the release. Doesn't all have to be on that date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Aquaman had an awful release date too according to everyone on here. I'm going to actually wait and see what the film does this time. 

To be fair, everything around it underperformed. I think people also underestimated how much people go to the movies during the holiday season. 

Edited by poweranimals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.