Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

So beautiful. Marvel officially has a replacement for the IM movies. Who'da thunk it last year?

Yep. GOTG has shown that any one of Marvel property done right could be a homerun for Diz/Mar. Next up Antman/Dr. Strange/Inhumans and hopefully BP and Ms. Marvel after that trio. 

Guardians will gross around what the first Pirates of the Caribbean did without the benefit of 11 years of inflation, 3D and IMAX surcharges. 

Not to take anything from Guardians' incredible run. Just puts things into perspective. 

Edited by Boogie Nights

Ray Subers' summer forecast prediction for GOTG  :ph34r:

7. Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1): This is the first original Marvel Cinematic Universe movie since Captain America: The First Avenger in 2011, and is probably the riskiest of any of the MCU movies so far. The eclectic band of characters has no cultural cache yet, and there's no clear tie-in with the rest of the universe. The attention-grabbing first trailer directly addressed this issue by spending an inordinate amount of time introducing each member, including a gun-toting raccoon and a human man who goes by Star Lord (played by Chris Pratt). There's a possibility that Guardians winds up being this Summer's Pacific Rim—the online hype outweighing general interest—though we're betting it winds up on par with the original Thor. (Domestic: $180 million, Foreign: $250 million)

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3826&p=.htm

Edited by Mojoguy

Yep. GOTG has shown that any one of Marvel property done right could be a homerun for Diz/Mar. Next up Antman/Dr. Strange/Inhumans and hopefully BP and Ms. Marvel after that trio. 

I hope at least two of Inhumans/Captain Marvel/BP make it on the Phase 3 schedule.

• Like 1

Very nice increase for Lucy, it's definitely passing Salt this weekend, the only questions if it will be Sunday or Monday.

It's kind of strange that the only boxoffice numbers I have any interest in right now are GOTG and Lucy, 2 movies that weren't really expected to have outstanding runs. :D

• Like 2

Very nice increase for Lucy, it's definitely passing Salt this weekend, the only questions if it will be Sunday or Monday.

It's kind of strange that the only boxoffice numbers I have any interest in right now are GOTG and Lucy, 2 movies that weren't really expected to have outstanding runs. :D

Same here. Add in X-men DOFP and those are the only three movies I cared to track very closely. Well I guess I could throw in TF4 China run too. 

Ray's forecast has been off all summer. The misses greatly outnumber the hits.

It's amazing that with all of the tracking numbers and information about trailer views, it is still difficult to predict what films will be a success and which ones will fail. It's not easy to predict the BO.

• Like 1

I think at that time most people expected it to land in that range, if not lower.

Yeah I remember on the imdb box office boards, there were quite a few people who thought he was over predicting GOTG. To be honest he did over predict most films except for maleficent, 22 jump street, TMNT and guardians.
  • Like 1

Subers makes some awful predictions but I think his GOTG guess was pretty fair. On this site, I think only Druv thought this could do 250 million+. 

The absolute worst prediction I've seen from Ray was his TDKR OS prediction. It was like 850 million...was truly awful.  

Edited by Moviefanatic
  • Like 2