Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

IM1, Avengers and Cap 2 all had good legs, but this feels like Marvel's first 'runaway train' kind of movie. It's gonna demolish 300m, probably end up over 320m. 3.4x multiplier. For this summer... christ that's good.

• Like 8

- 23 How to Train Your Dragon 2 Fox $1,140,000 +127.9% 1,096 +743 $1,040 $173,470,000 $145 12

Pretty good expansion for HTTYD2, it might even reach 175m.

- 32 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $450,000 +207.4% 794 +606 $567 $233,265,000 $200 15

Not so great for DOFP though, it still won't beat The Last Stand.

When I saw the showtimes at AMC yesterday, there was only one showing for it. So while it played in a lot of theaters, it seems like they didn't dedicate much to it.

• Like 2

When I saw the showtimes at AMC yesterday, there was only one showing for it. So while it played in a lot of theaters, it seems like they didn't dedicate much to it.

My theater had the DOFP and Dragon 2 expansions shared. Dragon got two matinee showings and DOFP got two evening showings.

I was close to seeing DOFP one last time.

Edited by Mango

At least DOFP reached 745m this weekend :)

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $233,265,000  31.3%Foreign:  $512,124,166  68.7% = Worldwide:  $745,389,166

The domestic gross is pretty good, especially considering the long history of the franchise, but that overseas gross is just fantastic.

• Like 1

As so many TMNT fans are also here

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 14 mins

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: $112.1M Overseas Total / $278.2M Global Total #TMNT #TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles

And to be fair for the others too

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 35 secs

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION: $828.1M Overseas Total / $1.072B Global Total #Transfrormers

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 5 mins

HERCULES: $103.8M Overseas Total / $174.8M Global Total #Hercules

• Like 2

My theater had the DOFP and Dragon 2 expansions shared. Dragon got two matinee showings and DOFP got two evening showings.

I was close to seeing DOFP one last time.

Also, HTTYD2 hasn't hit the discount theaters yet, so there isn't that difference in pricing that you'd see here. 233.5 million is right within in the realm of expectations, if maybe just a hair lower by 5 million or so. Fox should be happy.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

In what universe do you live in? EoT will make no profit at all from its theatrical release.

I live on Uranus :lol:

It's budget is 178M, it's made 364M.

364-178=186. Take it that marketing and advertising isn't in that budget, take away 30M or so, and perhaps you're down to 150Mish.

I live on Uranus :lol:

It's budget is 178M, it's made 364M.

364-178=186. Take it that marketing and advertising isn't in that budget, take away 30M or so, and perhaps you're down to 150Mish.

The studio's only gonna get around 50% of that 364. So with your numbers, 182 - 178 = 4m profit (without considering marketing, which is probably around 150m too). In the long run, it'll probably eke out a profit, but not much.

• Like 6

Also as far as comic book films go I'd have to say 2014 has been another top tier summer with GOTG/DOFP. Not quite as good as summer 2008 with TDK/IM1 but definitely on par if not a bit better than 2012 with TDKR/Avengers.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2

The studio's only gonna get around 50% of that 364. So with your numbers, 182 - 178 = 4m profit (without considering marketing, which is probably around 150m too). In the long run, it'll probably eke out a profit, but not much.

:mellow:

Well, then I think this is a big flop then.