Punishment

Weekend Actuals 9/5-9/7

The Identical's Sunday dropped 41% from estimates; it was overestimated by 70%. Has a daily number ever been overestimated to that degree?Another bit of trivia: The Identical is the lowest-ranking top (wide) opener since January 22-24, 1999 (the weekend after MLK, when Gloria opened at #15).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice 5m

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY took in $10.36M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $294.77M. #GOTG

And it went up. Sub 40 drop despite an inflated Labor Day 3-Day :D

I am in awe at Guardians' numbers. Will cross $300m without breaking a sweat. Bow down to the King of Summer box office and box office overall.

It's not like a mini TA but more like IM. And it's going to likely overtake IM multiple.
  • Like 2

For GOTG to stay at #1, both of the new releases would have to flop and GOTG would have to have a crazy good hold. It's a million to one shot.That said, GOTG is still looking at a great hold. Perhaps it could be flirting with 25%.

Edited by TServo2049

The Giver is performing better than I expected.  I haven't seen it and don't intend to.  But the legs/multiplier are indicating that maybe some adults are going to see Bridges and Streep.  I didn't think that movie would finish in the 40s domestically, but it will.

For GOTG to stay at #1, both of the new releases would have to flop and GOTG would have to have a crazy good hold. It's a million to one shot.That said, GOTG is still looking at a great hold. Perhaps it could be flirting with 25%.

I definitely think it can drop 30% or less. This weekend's Fri-Fri and Sat-Sat drops were 29.6 and 18.8 respectively. And that's despite losing IMAX to FG.

Who would have thought back in July we'd be saying that?!  :D

Yeah, seriously.  I considered myself one of GotG bigger boosters before it came out (I still feel pretty good about that $650-680M WW projection) but I remember posting that I thought there was absolutely zero chance of it catching MoS's domestic take and its blowing right past that.  Looks like I might have been a little optimistic on the OS front, though I guess we'll have to wait until October to see how China pans out.

Edited by Wrath

Yeah, that was a really solid hold this weekend.  GotG's chance of passing IM continues to climb.

I don't see how it misses 320M. It's 5.9M ahead of IM1 and it'll continue to gain on it since competition doesn't get strong for a while. That lead should be around 8M after next weekend and IM1 only 12M away. Dare I say, beating IM1 is locked.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1