Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:42 PM, Blank Panther said:

Got the trailer at Civil War. Looks phenomenal, although like a typical Bourne movie. That's A-okay though in my book.

Supremacy moves my soul. But I love all 3.

:(

Well can't say I didn't see these reviews coming. Looks like it could be more sequel fatigue from those consensus with no real reason to be back. That was the worry all along too.

I'm sure it will be good but it won't come close to the last one (Ultimatum - not the Renner one).

Edited by somebody85

I watched the first 2 and then the first 20 minutes of Ultimatum last night and I was going to watch the rest tonight. Not happening. I'm dog/house sitting and they don't have a Blu Ray. 

Okay so this was actually pretty good?

I marathoned the trilogy over past couple days: Supremacy > Ultimatum = Bourne > Identity

It's basically, as reviews point out, "greatest hits" essentially but they crank it up and add a bunch of mythology to it too (what they did there to be honest is the only possible way to go from the end of Ultimatum). I guess this is part of why critics didn't like it as much because I guess that "don't know anything about him" aspect was part of the appeal of the original trilogy, aside from it not really being anything new in some respects (although it's been nearly a decade since the last one and given they obviously want to do sequels, a familiar reintroduction is I think necessary)

and I like where they're at least hinting they'll go forward - Bourne and the reformed CIA working together to clean the agency up so to say?

Greengrass does a tight job with all this once again, Damon is on fire, was very inreresting to see the CIA side this time around filled with actually familiar faces - TLJ, Cassel, Alicia... although speaking of Alicia her performance the major letdown for me tbh. But hopefully it gets better in the sequels. Seeing Riz Ahmed was huge surprise for me too - one to watch too.

So essentially - a souped up and enjoyable re-introduction to the universe after nearly a decade, which may be familiar or feel like a retread, but necessary in the grander  scheme of things - and Greengrass' execution and Damon are what really helps make this actually good, more TFA than IDR...

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Okay so this was actually pretty good?

I marathoned the trilogy over past couple days: Supremacy > Ultimatum = Bourne > Identity

It's basically, as reviews point out, "greatest hits" essentially but they crank it up and add a bunch of mythology to it too (what they did there to be honest is the only possible way to go from the end of Ultimatum). I guess this is part of why critics didn't like it as much because I guess that "don't know anything about him" aspect was part of the appeal of the original trilogy, aside from it not really being anything new in some respects (although it's been nearly a decade since the last one and given they obviously want to do sequels, a familiar reintroduction is I think necessary)

Reveal hidden contents

Greengrass does a tight job with all this once again, Damon is on fire, was very inreresting to see the CIA side this time around filled with actually familiar faces - TLJ, Cassel, Alicia... although speaking of Alicia her performance the major letdown for me tbh. But hopefully it gets better in the sequels. Seeing Riz Ahmed was huge surprise for me too - one to watch too.

So essentially - a souped up and enjoyable re-introduction to the universe after nearly a decade, which may be familiar or feel like a retread, but necessary in the grander  scheme of things - and Greengrass' execution and Damon are what really helps make this actually good, more TFA than IDR...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts antovolk. It's nice to hear your perspective on it.

Peace,

Mike

27 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Clearly they should've brought Doug Liman back instead

They are probably two movies in my mind that I would rather see Doug Liman doing than another Bourne, one of them is a Edge of Tomorrow sequel. So I'm glad he is doing that. (I think). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Liman has life time pass with me because of Identity but he didn't actually make anything good in between Identity and Edge of Tomorrow

I even thought Jumper had its fair share of enjoyment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Clearly they should've brought Doug Liman back instead

Nah. Liman is a psycho.

eta: Thinking about Liman and his work on this makes me smile. Dude is just out there.

Edited by ecstasy
  • Like 1