Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

Finally saw this. 

It was, overall, ok. Definitely the weakest story wise of all the Bourne films. 

Damon was still good

Action was pretty good, especially that chase through Vegas. 

I love the first three and own them on Bluray but I'll probably not get this one when it comes out. 

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

Exactly.  The whole thing feels IN-organic, the two story strands, Bourne and the tiff between the CIA Director and the social media guru, are not tied together whatsoever.  Bourne DOESN'T seem to give a shit about any of that...for him, this is all personal.  And a pretty weak motivation...despite being -- can we do spoilers here? -- all about "the sins of the father."  There continues to be waaaay too much "Daddy issues" stuff with protagonists in Hollywood stuff lately...this made me think of Ang Lee's Hulk, with the father experimenting on his own sun.  Even though what's eventually revealed in Bourne is not this...they spend so much time making you *think* it is that the reveal doesn't really resonate when put out there... disappointing.

It is entirely personal, all the stories have been about him trying to find out more about himself. He was a patriot before Treadstone (he wouldn't have volunteered otherwise) but that's not him anymore. He doesn't care about serving/protecting the country and agency anymore. When he swam off at the end of Ultimatum, I imagine he finally found some peace with his past.

Which is why his motivations in this movie (spoilers):

Spoiler

don't make any freaking sense. His father is EVIL! His father made the program that Bourne hates so much because it robbed him of his humanity. His father only got cold feet because his own son was about to be subjected to the program...so his father was totally chill with someone else's son being forced through Treadstone?? I don't know if that was supposed to elicit sympathy from the audience because I found it really revolting. After all that Jason's gone through, I don't think he would've felt compelled enough to avenge someone who is literally the reason for all of his problems and clearly had no problems putting other innocent people through hell.

And yeah, since Star Wars' "No, I'm your father", this whole father twist has been overused and cliched, I don't think anyone even has an emotional reaction to it anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

This is one of the laziest scores I've ever heard.

I agree, I don't think this one had anything new. Moby remix was nice though.

It felt really jarring to hear all the old Bourne music throughout the movie because I felt like I was watching some generic action blockbuster that had somehow stolen the Bourne soundtrack lol

• Like 1

China OD(Aug.23) seem to have no trouble earning $10M.The total number may beating The Martian($95M),which is Damon's highest grossing of all time in the market.:jeb!:

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $18.91M OD - $85.96M OW(6 days) - $135.6M Total Gross

Spectre - $14.52M OD - $46.46M OW(3 days) - $83.51M Total Gross

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $8.55M OD - $15.15M OW(2 days) - $101.2M Total Gross

Spectre has the second worst multiples in recent years(No.1 is BvS).Only 3D release make the scene become darker and it could be the main reason for giving nagative reviews.

• Like 3

On 20 August 2016 at 11:25 PM, Macleod said:

The CIA people are in a 'safe room' that is able to basically monitor every element of communication in the world, hone in on specific events anywhere...and they don't catch when one of their own people in the room sends a text to Bourne warning him?  Equally...Vikander's character is somehow able to slip something into the pocket of the CIA Director while numerous bodyguards are standing close to him and all around them??  Stuff like this just made me question nearly every single scene...

Agree.

I've been called out for being negative multiple times in multiple threads, including this one, but I'm going to do it again.

I feel like people who say this is all they wanted out of a Bourne movie had forgotten why Ultimatum was received so well by critics and audiences. The strength of the story was extremely essential to the success of the previous films. The original trilogy had focus in their stories. They were tighter, more intricate, and they never shoehorned in anything, particularly the two Greengrass ones, in terms of story, character or action, save for the coolness factor of Bourne using random objects in a fight.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I've been called out for being negative multiple times in multiple threads, including this one, but I'm going to do it again.

I feel like people who say this is all they wanted out of a Bourne movie had forgotten why Ultimatum was received so well by critics and audiences. The strength of the story was extremely essential to the success of the previous films. The original trilogy had focus in their stories. They were tighter, more intricate, and they never shoehorned in anything, particularly the two Greengrass ones, in terms of story, character or action, save for the coolness factor of Bourne using random objects in a fight.

It's fine to be critical of a movie in its own thread, especially if you're not trying to shout down others' opinions or repeating yourself multiple times within a page or two.

• Like 1

I personally think this movie is doing really well. It is already at 141 million off of a 8 million weekend. This film should definitely end around 165 million. Thats a good gross considering the competition this summer and that the previous film made only 113.2 million. 

33 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Not negative at all. There were legitimate concerns about this movie, and almost entirely story-based. A movie being "fun" is only one of the factors that determine how good it is.

I shake my head sometimes when I see people say that this movie was "Awesome! So fun! Had amazing action!" because I don't want to dismiss their enjoyment of it. But it's like the enjoyment you get after you watch a Michael Bay movie. I dunno, maybe that's what the majority of people expect nowadays when they go see an action movie :(

16 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I personally think this movie is doing really well. It is already at 141 million off of a 8 million weekend. This film should definitely end around 165 million. Thats a good gross considering the competition this summer and that the previous film made only 113.2 million. 

But that movie did not have Damon. It is a slam dunk with money which is much more than you can say for many summer movies. 500M off of a 120M budget is really good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FallingSlowly said:

Not negative at all. There were legitimate concerns about this movie, and almost entirely story-based. A movie being "fun" is only one of the factors that determine how good it is.

I shake my head sometimes when I see people say that this movie was "Awesome! So fun! Had amazing action!" because I don't want to dismiss their enjoyment of it. But it's like the enjoyment you get after you watch a Michael Bay movie. I dunno, maybe that's what the majority of people expect nowadays when they go see an action movie :(

Yeah, I don't like dismissing others' enjoyment of it either. I'm just bewildered over the rationale of enjoying this one in relation to the previous ones, saying that the story is weaker, but it doesn't matter because the action is back to Greengrass level as if story wasn't important in the original trilogy.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

I've never been as big an Ultimatum fan as most, but the story told in the trilogy was perfectly wrapped up. This flick really is a Crystal Skull redux.

There's a lesson in all this for the "BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL GUYS JUST PAY EM WHATEVER THEY WANT WHO CARES IF THEY'RE PASSIONATE" fans

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Yeah, I don't like dismissing others' enjoyment of it either. I'm just bewildered over the rationale of enjoying this one in relation to the previous ones, saying that the story is weaker, but it doesn't matter because the action is back to Greengrass level as if story wasn't important in the original trilogy.

It's one of the better movies of the summer from my point of view and fun to see.  that isn't ranking it against its previous films, it is ranking it against other films out this year, given my particular movie going taste.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2