Godot

Friday Estimates: Maze Runner: 11.25, Walk among Tombstones 4.7M , All numbers in first post

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!Sweet failure, BO's been kinda dull lately, this should heat things up.

So The Maze Runner could be one of those overhyped projections?

Only by those who thought it would break the September record (which were mostly readers of the book blinded by their fanaticism). Otherwise, an opening weekend around $25M is what was mostly expected this whole time.

As for a franchise from these numbers, isn't the budget in the $30-40M area? If so, then if Percy Jackson managed to get at least one sequel, so will this.

• Like 2

Only by those who thought it would break the September record (which were mostly readers of the book blinded by their fanaticism). Otherwise, an opening weekend around $25M is what was mostly expected this whole time.

As for a franchise from these numbers, isn't the budget in the $30-40M area? If so, then if Percy Jackson managed to get at least one sequel, so will this.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

Only by those who thought it would break the September record (which were mostly readers of the book blinded by their fanaticism). Otherwise, an opening weekend around $25M is what was mostly expected this whole time.As for a franchise from these numbers, isn't the budget in the $30-40M area? If so, then if Percy Jackson managed to get at least one sequel, so will this.

I've never read the books, but the box office is so dead right now that I thought the number could be beaten :(
  • Like 1

I had no idea the budget was so small...,

Considering the cast is comprised almost entirely of no-names (sorry, being on a popular TV show does not make you an automatic box office draw), it kind of figures that most of the budget would be put toward set design and such since I assume the whole movie takes place in that maze.

That seems about as expected for all three openers. Maze Runner is no blockbuster but isn't another bomb for the YA genre, A Walk Among the Tombstones did about as well it could considering how grim and low-key it was compared to past Neeson action vehicles, and This Is Where I Leave You did mild business despite the excellent cast although the story did feel very "been there, done that" and the marketing wasn't sure if it was selling a comedy or a drama.

• Like 1