Godot

Weekend Thread. Friday Numbers: Equalizer 12.8-14.5, Box 5.6-6.8m, Maze 4 (Rth)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-denzel-washingtons-equalizer-735889

Denzel Washington's The Equalizer, reuniting the actor with his Training Day director Antoine Fuqua, took in a strong $1.5 million from 2,693 theaters as it began rolling out Thursday night at 7 p.m.

Sony is projecting a weekend launch in the $25 million to $30 million range, but most expect Equalizer to cross $30 million. Last weekend, YA film adaptation The Maze Runner grossed $1.1 million on its way to a $32.5 million weekend. In terms of Washington's recent films, 2 Guns took in $1.3 million Thursday night in August 2013 on its way to a $27.1 million debut.

By Friday, Equalizer will be playing in more than 3,200 theaters.

Safe House had earned 0.5M on its way to a 40M OW.

• Like 5

The late September slot yet again has proven  to be a great one for Sony, I doubt The Equalizer will take the September record from Hotel Transylvania but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.  

I wonder if The Equalizer does a sequel, will Sony stick to a September slot or move it to say October? Sony have already staked September 23rd 2016 and September 22nd 2017 for SPA films so they could easily move one of them and replace them with The Equalizer 2,

• Like 3

I wonder if The Equalizer does a sequel, will Sony stick to a September slot or move it to say October? Sony have already staked September 23rd 2016 and September 22nd 2017 for SPA films so they could easily move one of them and replace them with The Equalizer 2,

Theyll shove it into mid-may because why tf not?

• Like 1

Denzel has never made a sequel, so there's that.

As someone who predicted Equalizer to break the September OW record (45 mill), I am pleased but not overjoyed with that number. But really, it's just too early to tell.

• Like 3

THE MAZE RUNNER took in $1.98M on Thursday. 7-Day domestic total stands at $40.52M. #TheMazeRunner

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY took in $0.477M on Thursday. Domestic total now stands at $315.40M. #GOTG

Is it a holiday? Thats a 25% increase from Wednesday

It's Rosh Hashanah, so the schools are closed in NY. However, there are other areas of the country with smaller Jewish populations where the schools are still open.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

Very good for The Equalizer. Btw, as someone from Germany I don't quite understand why Denzel is such a big draw in the U.S. I mean, he's likable and all, but that can't be the only reason. His track record, especially his consistency is very impressive IMO.

He's a good actor too. Lots of people relate to him because he seems like a down-to-earth guy and hes attractive. Similar to Will Smith, he attracts a broad audience that crosses all demographics. 

• Like 6