grim22

Baywatch | May 26 2017 | Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Priyanka Chopra | First Trailer on Page 13

I wonder what these commercial and movie producers are thinking sometimes during the editing process...in one of the Baywatch trailers, Zac Efron is riding on the back of a water vehicle driven by The Rock. Efron calls him a hairless gorilla...how this racist line got by the editing without ringing a bell is puzzling. The term should have obviously not been approved. 

29 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I wonder what these commercial and movie producers are thinking sometimes during the editing process...in one of the Baywatch trailers, Zac Efron is riding on the back of a water vehicle driven by The Rock. Efron calls him a hairless gorilla...how this racist line got by the editing without ringing a bell is puzzling. The term should have obviously not been approved. 

yeah I thought that too when I saw that promo. I know Zac's character is supposed to be a douche but I'm very surprised they let that in. The rock is light skinned though so I guess it wasn't an obvious racial remark as it would be if it was Yahya for instance.  

Edited by ban1o

No one can complain about lack of marketing.

Every day on every social media platform it's constant. 

Its being released on a Monday here so it can have a 7 day opening weekend like Boss Baby did. (Which paid for that by having a massive 55% drop in its second weekend which was A: a big U.K. Holiday weekend and B: adding 25% more cinemas.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No one can complain about lack of marketing.

Every day on every social media platform it's constant. 

Its being released on a Monday here so it can have a 7 day opening weekend like Boss Baby did. (Which paid for that by having a massive 55% drop in its second weekend which was A: a big U.K. Holiday weekend and B: adding 25% more cinemas.)

oh but they will

:sparta:

15 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

15 hours ago, ban1o said:

yeah I thought that too when I saw that promo. I know Zac's character is supposed to be a douche but I'm very surprised they let that in. The rock is light skinned though so I guess it wasn't an obvious racial remark as it would be if it was Yahya for instance.  

The reason you guys think like this is because you are over analyzing things.  It's not racist to call The Rock a gorilla....he's obviously doing it because the Rock is a big man, not because he's black.  Jesus people, not everything has to have an agenda.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, baumer said:

The reason you guys think like this is because you are over analyzing things.  It's not racist to call The Rock a gorilla....he's obviously doing it because the Rock is a big man, not because he's black.  Jesus people, not everything has to have an agenda.  

Honestly please be quiet baumer. There was no need for you to provide your opinion  

It's not over analyzing when black people have constantly been compared to monkeys and gorillas as a racist insults and as ways to dehumanize them. 

Anyway I'm not saying it was intentional. It's something I noticed though. I'm actually looking forward to the movie. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Baumer, as a friendly reminder, I recall that one time when you made a whole thread in which you profess not grasping why "blackface" is considered so bad and racist so you may be not the most objective, sensible and neutral on this subject.

Edited by dashrendar44

I will not be quiet and thank you for the friendly reminder Dash. This has nothing to do with black face. You guys honestly really believe that the screenwriters or scriptwriters sat down and thought that it would be funny if they could include some kind of racist joke in there and stick it in the film and the trailer and nobody would notice? Calling somebody a gorilla is not racist if it's meant in jest. There's nothing racist about what was said in that trailer and I don't care what you guys say if you honestly believe it's racist then you guys are part of the problem with society today. You over-analyze the s*** out of everything.

What are the predicts for this anyway? Central intelligence had a 35 million OW. Is that around what people are predicting for this? This has a long weekend thought right? so like maybe 41-44  4 day weekend? 

Edited by ban1o

21 minutes ago, baumer said:

I will not be quiet and thank you for the friendly reminder Dash. This has nothing to do with black face. You guys honestly really believe that the screenwriters or scriptwriters sat down and thought that it would be funny if they could include some kind of racist joke in there and stick it in the film and the trailer and nobody would notice? Calling somebody a gorilla is not racist if it's meant in jest. There's nothing racist about what was said in that trailer and I don't care what you guys say if you honestly believe it's racist then you guys are part of the problem with society today. You over-analyze the s*** out of everything.

mm okay. yeah. This conversation has obviously run its course. White people lecturing people about  racism is always hilarious. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

Hmmm so only black people are allowed to comment on racism? 

Fine. Go look for racism in every single joke u can. If that makes you feel better.

• Like 1

I agree that joke should be scrapped, most people will understand racism was not the intent of screenwriters, but it could still hurt people.

Rock is not much light skinned.

And I think white people talking (not judging) about racism is more important than black people talking. And if it is b/w both then much better.

43 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I agree that joke should be scrapped, most people will understand racism was not the intent of screenwriters, but it could still hurt people.

Rock is not much light skinned.

And I think white people talking (not judging) about racism is more important than black people talking. And if it is b/w both then much better.

Lol it's not like I think this is some evil racist film. Apparently mentioning a problematic joke is so offensive to some people 

• Like 3