Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Cineplex just updated and thankfully LLL is at the 2nd closest theater to me and I snapped up a ticket for the first show at 12:30.

While it is expanding I don't think it is a big expansion as I checked the listings for the 6 closest theaters to me and only 1 is showing LLL.

I just saw a TV spot that said "in select cities X-Mas day, everywhere Jan. 6".

I'd have been pissed if it didn't come out here on the 25th, or if it was just in a theater that was a long way off, so I'm counting myself lucky it's showing nearby. Oddly, it's not in the artsy theaters, it's in one that plays mostly big movies.

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Blu-Ray doesn't release until April 11. Lionsgate is banking on this being a phenomenon.

if they are they are doing a shitty job of releasing it. I guess they are hoping it will sweep the oscars and everyone will flock to see it lol. 

Edited by ban1o

On 12/20/2016 at 10:31 AM, Spidey Freak said:

MTV.com's Ira Madison III eviscerated it:

oh wow I just saw this article. Interesting that Michael B. Jordan was once considered for the role.  Can he sing or play the piano though? I doubt any major studio would have ever put a black actor in that type of role though even if Damien wanted to. 

Spoiler

yeah the whole white man trying to preserve the true essence of jazz from  black musicians sub plot seems very odd and off putting considering the history of jazz. I don't  know if it's being exaggerated because my friend who saw it didn't say much about it. When I asked her she said "I guess I can see that"

I do appreciate how much of a jazz fan Damien seems to be maybe I'll watch his first film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench if I can find it 

Edited by ban1o

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

if they are they are doing a shitty job of releasing it. I guess they are hoping it will sweep the oscars and everyone will flock to see it lol. 

Their plan of waiting to go full wide release in January is not that bad. Between golden globes at the start of 2017 and oscar noms,PGA,DGA,SAG at the end of January is where the oscar buzz really hits the mainstream, all the buzz that's happening until now is pretty much contained to the people that care and follow that stuff. But yeah all the back and forth that LionsGate is doing with the dates and number of theatres is ridiculous. If the movie ends up a big success it will be in spite of them. They had since Venice when LLL became an instant big awards player to plan where and when it will open and they still screwed up.

• Like 2

I saw this on screener tonight, just got sent it today, and I really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure if it would be my type of film, and from the trailers honestly? I wasn't interested at all. I would have skipped it.

I'm very glad I got sent it, though, because it's a gem. I thought visually it was splendid, absolutely fantastic cinematography and overall visual style and flair. The dialogue was often very funny, but also very genuine. I felt like I've had some of these types of conversations with my girlfriend before, it just felt real in the good way. Not real in the "holy shit this is boring" way, but in the way that they captured how people talk and how arguments play out, etc. I thought the music was very good; there's a particular piece in the middle that involves Ryan Gosling playing (not to spoil anything) that's fantastic, I thought. It's an industry movie meets musical movie meets movie-about-music movie. Very interesting combination and synthesis! It worked for me. 

In a bleak year (my opinion), La La Land shines pretty bright. I would say at this point it'll make my Top 5 DGA nominees list when I vote. If you're excited to go see this and think it's your type of movie, I'm imagining you will love it, considering I wasn't sure if it would be a movie for me and I really enjoyed it anyway.

• Like 5

Absolutely in love with the song Audition. Probably just a good as City of Stars. I wonder if I'll be able to watch this before April.

Oh, and racism is an over-used word. Now people just don't care about that word anymore and then you get stuff like Trump. Ouch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I saw this on screener tonight, just got sent it today, and I really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure if it would be my type of film, and from the trailers honestly? I wasn't interested at all. I would have skipped it.

I'm very glad I got sent it, though, because it's a gem. I thought visually it was splendid, absolutely fantastic cinematography and overall visual style and flair. The dialogue was often very funny, but also very genuine. I felt like I've had some of these types of conversations with my girlfriend before, it just felt real in the good way. Not real in the "holy shit this is boring" way, but in the way that they captured how people talk and how arguments play out, etc. I thought the music was very good; there's a particular piece in the middle that involves Ryan Gosling playing (not to spoil anything) that's fantastic, I thought. It's an industry movie meets musical movie meets movie-about-music movie. Very interesting combination and synthesis! It worked for me. 

In a bleak year (my opinion), La La Land shines pretty bright. I would say at this point it'll make my Top 5 DGA nominees list when I vote. If you're excited to go see this and think it's your type of movie, I'm imagining you will love it, considering I wasn't sure if it would be a movie for me and I really enjoyed it anyway.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it considering I am crazily promoting this film to my friends which I know are not big on musicals. What do you think of Volphutroit winner Emma Stone? Do you think she has a chance for that Best Actress Oscar?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Will it end up being another big surprise hit there like Begin Again and About Time or not that big?

to simply answer the question, yes. think it will reach the height of those two movies. 

both of those movies' total admissions were about 3.4M and LLL's already flirting with 2M after three weeks, so it's definitely feasible. :)

if I may add more notes, while both Begin Again and About Time showed phenomenal performances here, they were only big for what they were, not like big big, more like a sleeper, "$15M-DOM-grosser-did-$25M-in-Korea-out-of-nowhere" phenomenon which was purely driven by WOM. LLL on the other hand, while I first saw it as a similar entry to the other two, but in fact it's much less indie and more like a $100M player which also has a bit of a novelty factor as an Oscar contender, so it breaking out might not be as surprising as the other two did so, but still, it's more of an arthouse choice for the regular filmgoers and it hadn't even opened wide in the US yet which means it didn't have the "it's a hit in the US" card to play, so it being afloat on its own merits and WOM in Korea is still very admirable. :) Les Mis opened in the Christmas frame and did 5.9M admissions and I wonder if LLL could hold well during Christmas and hit 4M here. 

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

Emma Stone was great, she was fun and funny and kooky in the right measures. She's a really strong actress. None of my friends would watch a musical probably but they shouldn't rule out a movie just because it's a musical. There are some great ones! I think they'd like it more than they realize.

• Like 1

Alright, so I fucking adored this movie.  The ending almost made me a complete mess.  Fucking tears in my eyes.  Last time that happened was with Inside Out.  This is just such a powerful movie.  It's upbeat, it's entertaining, it's a downer, it's depressing, and they all combine together to create the best movie of the year.

Please Oscars, nominate and make this movie win every category.

• Like 1

It's a bit weird that Stone is only now really getting her big Movie Star moment because she's been close to the spotlight since at least Zombieland 7 years ago but never quite ended up right in the center of it. In the time when JLaw (and, if you disregard box office, Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander) could go from complete unknown to Oscar winner in two years, Stone's steady rise feels like it took her ages.