Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

42 minutes ago, DAR said:

Hey, did you try that blue drink, the one that glows like nuclear waste? The watermelon margarita? Any idea why it tastes like some combination of radiator fluid and formaldehyde?

And when we hear the words Donkey Sauce, which part of the donkey are we supposed to think about?

When you hung that sign by the entrance that says, WELCOME TO FLAVOR TOWN!, were you just messing with our heads?

Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish?

:rofl:

• Like 1

I'm worried about how Lionsgate will treat this BO wise.  They suck at marketing their movies, and this is a movie that could easily be a genuine WoM crowd pleaser if they would just put the film in theaters and put out a few advertisements.

Lionsgate got lucky with the Hunger Games (and even then they screwed up twice with marketing Mockingjay).  They've released good movies, they're just an incompetent studio when it comes to getting people to come and see them.

52 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

I'm worried about how Lionsgate will treat this BO wise.  They suck at marketing their movies, and this is a movie that could easily be a genuine WoM crowd pleaser if they would just put the film in theaters and put out a few advertisements.

Lionsgate got lucky with the Hunger Games (and even then they screwed up twice with marketing Mockingjay).  They've released good movies, they're just an incompetent studio when it comes to getting people to come and see them.

There have been plenty of TV spots going around.

FYI they're releasing it in 2,000+ theaters the weekend of the Globes in two weeks so they definitely know how to strike.

• Like 1

This shoulda just gone immediately wide on December 9. Three full months of healthy box office. It's not like it would have faded quickly or anything. I kinda laughed at CJohn for his Lionsgate hate but they're clearly... not the brightest bulbs in the room when it comes to this stuff.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

This shoulda just gone immediately wide on December 9. Three full months of healthy box office. It's not like it would have faded quickly or anything. I kinda laughed at CJohn for his Lionsgate hate but they're clearly... not the brightest bulbs in the room when it comes to this stuff.

Far too early to be writing it off in any way, especially since we're still a long ways from Oscar night (and it's clear that this, Manchester by the Sea, and Moonlight are the only movies with any actual shot of winning).

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/12/la_la_land_s_clich_d_confused_depiction_of_jazz.html

"La La Land may be a great movie about dreams, but as a movie about jazz, it’s a muddle of clichés."

'The film doesn’t deal with race, probably because there aren’t a lot of people of color in it, aside from musicians and others seen in passing. Nor is it any kind of referendum on jazz: The main duet numbers have nothing to do with it. There are many clichés in speech and thought in La La Land, a movie that keeps shifting between high camp and inspirational romance. But a cliché, repeated often enough, can come to seem like a truth. I’ve met a few musicians who could be caricatured into Sebastian. It would be a drag if he became as real and commonplace as the joke about hating jazz.'

23 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/12/la_la_land_s_clich_d_confused_depiction_of_jazz.html

"La La Land may be a great movie about dreams, but as a movie about jazz, it’s a muddle of clichés."

'The film doesn’t deal with race, probably because there aren’t a lot of people of color in it, aside from musicians and others seen in passing. Nor is it any kind of referendum on jazz: The main duet numbers have nothing to do with it. There are many clichés in speech and thought in La La Land, a movie that keeps shifting between high camp and inspirational romance. But a cliché, repeated often enough, can come to seem like a truth. I’ve met a few musicians who could be caricatured into Sebastian. It would be a drag if he became as real and commonplace as the joke about hating jazz.'

tumblr_o12szlRLyf1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

Edited by La La Panda

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It's not hard to believe Ryan Gosling could save jazz. After all, he's already saving puppies (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/ryan-gosling-rescues-a-puppy-see-the-photos-w166936) and women (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2125255/Ryan-Gosling-rescue-saves-female-journalist-run-car.html) from car accidents. The music world is next!

Ryan-Gosling-Gifs-23.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Mmm this is like the 3rd article I read critiquing the way the movie portrays jazz music. I guess fortunately most of the oscar voters aren't jazz music fans 

Edited by ban1o

This is definitely the best live action musical since Moulin Rouge! Emma Stone is just enchanting. I've known her potential charm knows no bounds since first noticing her in Superbad - and this was that unbound performance I've been waiting for from her all these years. She's so much better suited to this kind of role than when she tries to be angst-y and tortured ala Birdman. The movie glides along on air, making the abrupt fall from cloud nine all the more affecting.

Most of all, I'm blown away by this music. I wouldn't toss this word around lightly about a modern musical, but "timeless" kept coming to mind to describe the songs. "City of Stars" is just marvelous. That simple melody is hauntingly wondrous and captures the essence of the film spectacularly. As much as I stan for Moana's songs, CoS deserves to win. As much as I loved Portman, Stone deserves to win. And the movie deserves to win BP more than any other musical in decades. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is definitely the best live action musical since Moulin Rouge! Emma Stone is just enchanting. I've known her potential charm knows no bounds since first noticing her in Superbad - and this was that unbound performance I've been waiting for from her all these years. She's so much better suited to this kind of role than when she tries to be angst-y and tortured ala Birdman. The movie glides along on air, making the abrupt fall from cloud nine all the more affecting.

Most of all, I'm blown away by this music. I wouldn't toss this word around lightly about a modern musical, but "timeless" kept coming to mind to describe the songs. "City of Stars" is just marvelous. That simple melody is hauntingly wondrous and captures the essence of the film spectacularly. As much as I stan for Moana's songs, CoS deserves to win. As much as I loved Portman, Stone deserves to win. And the movie deserves to win BP more than any other musical in decades. 

While I like City of Stars, my favourite song is Audition (Fools who Dream) followed by Another Day of Sun. 

I'm desperate to see it but it doesn't come out in the UK until January.

Just now, Jonwo said:

While I like City of Stars, my favourite song is Audition (Fools who Dream) followed by Another Day of Sun. 

I'm desperate to see it but it doesn't come out in the UK until January.

They're all fantastic, and I understand why some are preferring Audition. However, I feel it works best in the expository context of the film. Whereas CoS works a little better as a fully realized song and I think it's the best representation of the film as well. 

• Like 1