grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

I'm assuming IMDB are going for the 'bury-their-heads-in-the-sand' approach where if they ignore the complaints long enough surely they'll just magically disappear.

Also, there's a thunderstorm going on outside my house right now. Ominous much?

We would need a lot of volunteers, and a logical way to split the task so that no one is overloaded. But most important of all, we need a place to store all the data.

I think it'd also make sense to  identify and tackle priority of data.  There's some content that other sites just don't have, and we should aim for that initially and then work outward however feasible given obvious logistics issues.

Ideas for storage?  I'd start with just creating Google spreadsheets as a quick preliminary solution

• Like 2

I'm assuming IMDB are going for the 'bury-their-heads-in-the-sand' approach where if they ignore the complaints long enough surely they'll just magically disappear.

They're probably right. At some point it won't be worth the effort to complain about. 

I probably won't sign and I doubt that petition does anything, still, BOM doesn't deserve to be trashed and destroy so unexpectedly.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

It shut down for the same reason the forums died down. There's no money in it. I imagine Amazon did an evaluation of how many paying customers would be there ( which unlike people saying they would subscribe rarely turns out that more than a 1000 people would be willing) and there is no way they could recover the cost via advertising. The executives will get the data from deadline or imdb as part of a corporate membership. There is no way an group of 1000 amateurs paying 10 dollars a year would be worth it to run a site like BOM.

Today the internet advertising model is dominated by the toothbrush model pioneered by Google. Only those things are viable that a vast section of people use at least once a day. 10,000 people checking BOM daily isn't viable for advertising.

If it survives its a part of IMDBPro.

My question is how do sites with much less traffic than BOM and alot more maintenance survive?

Could it be that Amazon is being too greedy?

• Like 1

I really hope that in a few days, BOM will be up and running again and we'll all just look back and laugh at hoe worried we got. I dunno how likely that is but until someone breaks this silence and says BOM is gone for sure I'm keeping that shred of optimism.

• Like 7

I really hope that in a few days, BOM will be up and running again and we'll all just look back and laugh at hoe worried we got. I dunno how likely that is but until someone breaks this silence and says BOM is gone for sure I'm keeping that shred of optimism.

Even if it does come back I doubt I'll laugh at this. They've given us serious reason to fear the worst.

• Like 2

That's nice. I still have some hope, even if it's really really small.

• Like 1

My question is how do sites with much less traffic than BOM and alot more maintenance survive?

Could it be that Amazon is being too greedy?

There are websites more popular than BOM that don't make any money. The primary cost of operating BOM is not the software or server storage. Its the cost of collecting box office data. Anything that has been automated is dirt cheap. However the data gathering is expensive. Without people willing to pay for that data it will not survive.

Even if it does come back I doubt I'll laugh at this. They've given us serious reason to fear the worst.

Yeah, the way everyone is reacting to this is justifiable considering nobody is saying anything on the matter. No need to look back and laugh if it's is up and running again soon.

Edited by Empire

There are websites more popular than BOM that don't make any money. The primary cost of operating BOM is not the software or server storage. Its the cost of collecting box office data. Anything that has been automated is dirt cheap. However the data gathering is expensive. Without people willing to pay for that data it will not survive.

Then why'd they acquire it in the first place? At any rate, if they just want to make more money they could simply make BOM available for a monthly fee. Or just sell BOM to somebody else. I'm sure all the data will end up being accessible, but whether that's at IMDB/BOM, and whether it's still free, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.