CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I was thinking of watching Superman Returns today for the first time, now maybe not.

It's not as awful as some people say, but there's just a lot of annoying creative choices that ruin what would have been a decent superhero flick. It also doesn't help that this is supposed to be a direct sequel to Superman 2. So telling me that Reeve!Supes and Kidder!Lois would do this stuff is anger-inducing to somebody who holds the first movie up as one of their favorite films of all time.

Man of Steel is a stupid movie too (not for the reasons fanboys hate it), but at least that was its own world and interpretation, which makes things a tad more forgivable...keyword being "a tad".

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

My brain is kinda blown because you are 100% right. Gosling would 100% work. And I think he’d be down for it. He has Batdaddy energy.

He's WB's golden Ken Doll - they should throw him a bat-bone after that opens to $100m. "Barbie and Ken as Harley and Batman in the DCU" definitely feels like an easy way for Gunn to bring her back too

Superman Returns was the first movie I ever saw in IMAX 3D and I remember the airplane scene blowing my mind with how realistic the 3D felt, but the rest of the movie was so ass boring even as a 6 year old. It's a really nice movie to look at though, not gonna lie - great sets, good coloring, even if Singer's just aping Donner but with modern day technology

I remember something about a jj abrams produced superman move with a non-cavill superman

did it get canned? what universe was it supposed to take part in?

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

He's WB's golden Ken Doll - they should throw him a bat-bone after that opens to $100m. "Barbie and Ken as Harley and Batman in the DCU" definitely feels like an easy way for Gunn to bring her back too

I’m under the impression that Harley is crossing the river. That commentary about giving a Ken doll invisible powers was kinda on the nose. But I 100% see Gosling as the kind of Batman that Brave and the Bold needs, in fact I can’t see anyone else other than him at the moment, it’s too perfect. 

batman-robin.jpg

He even looks like Frank Quitely’s Batman, never mind that on that run Dick was wearing Batman’s cowl, but I can’t really see anyone else doing this, not even Gyllenhaal.

Edited by ZattMurdock

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I remember something about a jj abrams produced superman move with a non-cavill superman

did it get canned? what universe was it supposed to take part in?

According to Gunn the film is still in active development as an Elseworlds story.

Brosnahan is perfect because she's one of the few people I think who can pull off the fast-talking screwball reporter vibe. The last time we got a performance like that was Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hudsucker Proxy (and ngl, would call it one of the hottest performances ever)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ryan Gosling’s (probably) gonna be pushing 50 by the time BatB comes out. Just putting that out there. 

This only makes him more likely to play a Batman who’s a father of 4 lol

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

If Gunn wanted publicity he got it; this announcement is on almost every mainstream news site.

As it should. Massive casting. Arguably the biggest on a good while. Next big thing is likely when we get to the F4. I’m betting on Margot as Sue, all the rest who knows.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Good idea to not make any off the wall casting choices with this project 

Gunn is not afraid to cast agianst type. but he has, probably wisely, decided to play it safe here.

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

As it should. Massive casting. Arguably the biggest on a good while. Next big thing is likely when we get to the F4. I’m betting on Margot as Sue, all the rest who knows.

Considering the trades have never touched anything beyond Driver as Reed, I feel like he’s the only one that’s gonna happen. Most exciting casting rumor for that movie by far too

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They wanted to lock this in before the strike deadline for sure.

Or to move on from The Flash/DCEU with something concrete for the DCU. 

I wish they weren’t doing another universe and just letting these films be their own thing, but hey ho. 

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Considering the trades have never touched anything beyond Driver as Reed, I feel like he’s the only one that’s gonna happen. Most exciting casting rumor for that movie by far too

I’m not one to buy twitter ‘insiders’ talk, but I do think Margot could happen. And I think makes sense, both for Marvel and DC Studios, and most of all to Robbie. Gunn already said that he doesn’t have plans for Suicide Squad whatsoever in the future, it makes sense for her to make the jump.