1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Fury

3:15PM

About 60% full-I don't think there was ANYONE under the age of 25.

Trailers (Nearly every film was a period film except the last 2 which was funny as someone said "dang every trailers has been a period film!")

The Imitation Game: Looks good, though it does seem like Beautiful Mind, which isn't bad as I liked it but yeah.

Into the Woods: Audience really got into this it seems.

Unbroken: Wow looks amazing, another one the audience enjoyed.

Heart of the Sea: Looks pretty good, some talking.
Exodus: Quite a bit of talking.

Wedding Ringer: Um yeah-some laughs though.

Interview: Laughs.

Movie: I think this might be the best film I've seen in theaters this year so far. Yes it is VERY graphic at some points (and they say the F word a lot also at some points) but I really enjoyed it. Pitt is becoming one of my favorite actors. La Bouf seem to have taken acting lessons. And finally Logan-I see a LONG career ahead for him, amusing how he started with the Patriot with Jason Isaacs in that film. The score was very well done. The sound was great also. The audience realy enjoyed it also. Some laugh at some point, tons of gasps during the film (biggest was when Brad Pitt accidently kills Shia) And quite a bit of people going "die Nazi's even :P! I know it wont be nominated for anything major-though I wish it was.

A

• Like 4

B+

One of the better WW2 era movies since Saving Private Ryan.  Great action and carnage.  Ayers did a decent  job making us care about the characters.  Development of the characters wasn't on the level of SPR and for that I give it a B+.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

Fury3:15PMAbout 60% full-I don't think there was ANYONE under the age of 25. Trailers (Nearly every film was a period film except the last 2 which was funny as someone said "dang every trailers has been a period film!") The Imitation Game: Looks good, though it does seem like Beautiful Mind, which isn't bad as I liked it but yeah.Into the Woods: Audience really got into this it seems.Unbroken: Wow looks amazing, another one the audience enjoyed.Heart of the Sea: Looks pretty good, some talking.Exodus: Quite a bit of talking.Wedding Ringer: Um yeah-some laughs though.Interview: Laughs. Movie: I think this might be the best film I've seen in theaters this year so far. Yes it is VERY graphic at some points (and they say the F word a lot also at some points) but I really enjoyed it. Pitt is becoming one of my favorite actors. La Bouf seem to have taken acting lessons. And finally Logan-I see a LONG career ahead for him, amusing how he started with the Patriot with Jason Isaacs in that film. The score was very well done. The sound was great also. The audience realy enjoyed it also. Some laugh at some point, tons of gasps during the film (biggest was when Brad Pitt accidently kills Shia) And quite a bit of people going "die Nazi's even :P! I know it wont be nominated for anything major-though I wish it was. A

Boy your audience sure enjoyed those trailers.

And good news about the movie, as I also liked a good Brad Pitt movie.

• Like 1

I found it to be really pedestrian.  It had it's moments but mostly I felt underwhelmed by it.  The characters didn't really connect with me.  Pitt and Lerman were good and LaBouef was maybe the best part of the movie but the other supporting cast seemed really off.  This is the first time I've seen Bernthal in a role that I thought he was wrong for.  He was one speed.  Angry, all the time and you really didn't undertstand why.  In Saving Private Ryan, which this was obviously modeled after, every character was interesting.  Even Vin Diesel, who was the least fleshed out of the crew, had his moment to shine.  But in Fury, I didn't really feel any emotional connection to Bernthal and Pena.  The best part of this film, imo, was the house scene with the two women, that is until the other three members of the crew showed up, then it just got stupid.  

Fury is close to a good film, but it's also close to being a bad film, if that makes any sense.

6.5/10

• Like 4

I just got back from Fury, I absolutely loved it. The cinematography was engrossing and powerful, the performances were very well done, and it was one of the few war movies that was bold enough to take the heroism aspects out and leave you uncomfortable.

The action scenes were very well shot and were thrilling, yet they weren't overdone, thus it kept a high level of suspense. And Steven Price delivered again with his score, he's a spectacular composer and I need to listen to the score again but it's just as good if not better than Gravity's.

My only complaint is a scene near the middle of the movie that drags out a bit to long but it's justified.  (It was going well at the start, but it got a bit too much about halfway through it.  Again I know its purpose, but if I was watching it at home that's a part in the movie where I'd take out my phone while I wait for it to get going again.)  However to again be fair it wasn't the entire scene that was the problem, just the second half when the three other soldiers come in, the first half was tense and showed a different important aspect of war that few movies dare touch on.

While it wasn't Saving Private Ryan level it definitely got near it.

Fury gets an A from me, it may move to an A+ once I give it time to sink in.

This is in the running for my favorite movie of the year.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Wow. So interesting how we saw the same movie but have completely different takes on it.  One thing is for certain, we both loved the dinner scene...until the other three come in.

• Like 4

Wow. So interesting how we saw the same movie but have completely different takes on it.  One thing is for certain, we both loved the dinner scene...until the other three come in.

I thought the movie was great, engaging, and well-filmed commentary on war .  The only post-SPR WW2 film I remembered that accomplished something similar was Letters from Iwo Jima.

But I agree, the dinner scene was absolutely brilliant up until the other three butted in, after that it drug the movie down.  (It's weird, it's that scene that made me want to give the film an A+ but at the same time the same reason I felt compelled that I couldn't.)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

The dinner scene felt like watching 30 min of angry men.

That's a big positive.  There's just so much subtle tension during the dinner scene, you don't know what will happen exactly.  You're worried for Norman, you're worried for the German girls, there's disgust, but then at the same time there's bits of ingenuity within the disgust.  You also see how Norman gives up his morality for survival, and how circumstance causes people to do the most vile of things (even if done deceptively).  It's a very powerful scene, and the movie itself as a whole seems that way.

Edited by The Panda

I enjoyed it but like others have mentioned, it's missing something. What? I don't know. The action was good though, and both Pitt and Lerman were good. Shia stole the show though; he should do more roles like this. I felt like the end went too long as well. Overall, I'll give a B+

I did go audibly "WHAT THE FUCK" at the end credits when I saw Jason Isaacs was in it though.

Edited by Blankments

Fury doesn't do anything groundbreaking within the genre but it does hit the right notes with what it's expected to do.

Solid acting and more of Shia (and his "stache) would have been appreciated.

The first act drags but I think the movie really does pick up once they enter the German town. The dinner scene was a standout, but two small moments which really struck me were

-When the young Nazi soldier catches Norm in his flashlight but doesn't point him out (Was it because he was a young soldier a well? That's my take on it).

-When the platoon looks up and sees the dogfight in the skies about to go down. It's a wonderful shot IMO, and kinda reminds us that in war, the "pure glory of battle" is in the dogfights but on the ground you find yourselves on the dirt, being witness to what man is willing to inflict on his fellow man.

Overall, a very solid film that could have been trimmed a bit.

4/5.

• Like 3

This was a frustrating movie. It had moments of brilliance, that dinner scene was intense as hell but then it decided to go all Hollywood at times. The end was your typical Hollywood ending with cheesy one liner which took me out of the realistic depiction of war I thought they were trying to go with.

"we will skin you alive"

"Send more pigs for me to kill"

NO, you just don't have lines like that in a movie that's taken itself so seriously right to the end.

Overall it had very strong performances from everyone on board with the exception of Brad Pitt who just acted like Brad Pitt from IB. Jon Bernthal gave the best performance imo and created the most intense scenes despite being an asshole, he came across as mildly likable. The film showed the horrors of war perfectly with the gore being used very effectively and more so than Saving Private Ryan, this film actually made me realise just how horrible it would be to be part of it all however it was all wasted when they decided to end it all with a cheesy tank vs army scenario (also anyone else notice that it took the German army about 3 hours or so to walk what seemed to be a few hundred meter distance? lol)

B-

It half amazing and half chessy as hell with too many cliche's

• Like 1

Wasn't it more like a breakfast scene? :P They did have eggs and bacon after all.

Yeah the final tank scene was all over the place. First, like Jessie mentions, it takes the German unit a considerable time to march up to the tank, enough time for the crew to consider leaving then set up for a last stand. Did anyone else notice it was day when the troops arrived at the tank but minutes later, it was already dark?